Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seton Hall PT v. Mercer FT  (Read 963 times)

onechu82

• View Profile
Seton Hall PT v. Mercer FT
« on: March 31, 2008, 07:16:40 PM »
No money for both.  How is the likelihood of getting into FT division after one year of PT at Seton Hall? Their website says it depends on the grades.  Also, any thoughts on Seton Hall?

Mercer deposit is due tomorrow, so I would like any help ASAP!

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
Re: Seton Hall PT v. Mercer FT
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 10:50:47 PM »
1) If you still don't know which is better, make the deposit and give yourself more time to think.  It's a big decision...

2)  Personally, I'd pick Mercer.  Seton Hall is expensive, and so is Newark.  I'm sure the cost of living is lower in Macon, GA.  But maybe I'd pick the small one 'cause I'm more intrested in small town law, not big law.  If you ARE deadset on big law, and gunning for the top, then I guess Seton Hall would be the answer. 

cupcake315

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 11:22:57 AM »
I got into the PT program at Seton Hall as well and just visited on the 28th. I asked about switching FT and you have to wait a full year, and they say it depends on grades but that literally 100% of the people who apply to switch get in. And the cost of living in Newark is expensive, but not unreasonable. If you talk to SH students who live in Newark they have a lot of safe and nice places to recommend. If I attend though, I'll be living in Jersey City or Hoboken. Hoboken is definitely pricey, but you can find decent places in JC for cheaper.

onechu82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »
Any other thoughts? Mercer deposit is basically due in about an hour...

cupcake315

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »
ummm.. I liked the school. I got a really good vibe. Everything's pretty new, the classrooms and all the technology are up to date (plug for each individual chair for your laptop, they have microphones hanging from the ceiling in each row so if you get called on and are in the back row, they can still hear you haha)... I'd say though that a lot of the people who were visiting and those that were current students were young, either right out of undergrad or a few years .. so if you're a nontrad looking for more people of middle age I'd say you may be a minority (or I just went to ASD that had few older students). If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.  Since its the next day, what did you end up doing??

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
ummm.. I liked the school. I got a really good vibe. Everything's pretty new, the classrooms and all the technology are up to date (plug for each individual chair for your laptop, they have microphones hanging from the ceiling in each row so if you get called on and are in the back row, they can still hear you haha)... I'd say though that a lot of the people who were visiting and those that were current students were young, either right out of undergrad or a few years .. so if you're a nontrad looking for more people of middle age I'd say you may be a minority (or I just went to ASD that had few older students). If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.  Since its the next day, what did you end up doing??

You're talking about Seton Hall or Mercer?

cupcake315

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 06:56:56 PM »
Seton Hall.. I know nothing about Mercer

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 09:47:08 PM »
Seton Hall.. I know nothing about Mercer

I am a 1L at SHU....p/t day program....it is not difficult to transfer to the f/t division after first yr...the curve at SHU is a 3.2 and, this year, all you need in order to transfer to the f/t program is a 2.8....if you have any other specific questions ask away...

onechu82

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »
I chose Seton Hall PT over Mercer FT.  Only reason I would have chosen Mercer was to transfer.  I didn't want to take a chance on not doing well first year, being stuck at Mercer for three years, and finding 40K/year job in Macon, Georgia.

Christina Bennett from Seton Hall called me just now to talk about the program.  She explained that the requirement to transfer to FT changes every year (2.8 this year with 3.2 curve), and the highest requirement in recent years is 3.0 (the curve was probably higher).  So, as of now, it looks like I am gonna attend Seton Hall PT Day, unless I hear back good news from other schools...

How's the housing? Where are some good places to stay?

onechu82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »
Also, anybody going to be at SHU ASW on 4/12?