Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OSU or Temple ($$$$)?  (Read 500 times)

mconnett

• View Profile
    • LSN
OSU or Temple ($$$$)?
« on: March 31, 2008, 05:11:11 PM »
Ok, so I'm strongly leaning towards Temple, but I figured I'd tempt fate by seeing if anyone could convince me to the contrary.

OSU with no scholarship & out-of-state tuition, or Temple with a full-tuition scholarship?

My interest is in public interest law, and definitely not big law. With that in mind, and with the state of the economy looking pretty bad, I'm trying to keep my debt-load to a minimum. Also, I visited Temple this weekend for ASD and was very impressed with just about everything (faculty, clinical programs, the trial advocacy program, etc).

But, then again, I realize that OSU has a better national reputation (at least according to USN). But is the difference in USN ranking (~32 vs ~60, or something like that) worth an extra $32,000 a year (an extra 96K overall - yikes!)

Ok, as I write this, Temple is starting to look like the better choice (by far), but I guess I don't want to leave any stone unturned in considering my options. Any thoughts or advice?

3-Elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
Re: OSU or Temple ($$$$)?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »
FWIW...it's supposed to be really easy to get in-state tuition at OSU (especially 2nd and 3rd year), and they focus a lot on helping you to do so, if that helps your decision any.
Emory 3L

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 05:24:44 PM »
I'm facing a similar decision between GW and Temple ($$$$), and I'm also leaning toward Temple right now.  Personally, I don't think it's worth $96K more debt (or even half that number) to go to OSU, unless - and this is a huge "unless" - you want to practice in Ohio.

Also, FWIW, Temple is a great school if you're interested in public interest law.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

zdub378

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 05:38:28 PM »
Unless you're a football fan, I'd go with Temple.  In fact, even if you're a fan, I'd still take Temple.  Student tickets @ OSU are fecaly

mconnett

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:44:13 PM »
Thanks for the posts. BTW, stewie, our numbers are almost identical. My LSN is at:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=mconnett

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 05:58:14 PM »
I'm a current Temple student and they have a very strong focus on public interest and it's relatively easy to get summer jobs in the field around the city. I chose Temple over several "higher ranked" schools and I couldn't be happier. The only downside is that you might have to stay around Philly for a while post-graduation as that's where most of the jobs for Temple students are (unless you do real well). The plus side is that Philly is a great city and Temple has a strong reputation throughout the city and it's not hard to find a job, so long as you're not a total @#!* up. 
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 06:24:38 PM »
I'd have to vote Temple in this instance.

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 06:49:34 PM »
Is it just me, or is OSU one of the stingiest schools that there is in terms of scholarships?  Their medians are around 3.6 and 161, and yet I constistently hear about individuals who far exceed these numbers and yet get little or no scholarship money.  What's the idea behind this?  OSU is one of the most wealthy schools in the country--I just don't get it.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:46:17 AM »
If you want public interest, then Temple is the way to go.  (Is there a requirement to keep the scholarship, though?)

I'd be scared working a public interest job paying 30=50 grand with 100 grand in loans, unless you're going to a school with one heck of a LRAP.