Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: priority vs. non priority at UVA  (Read 7933 times)

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: priority vs. non priority at UVA
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
I am interested to see if this impacts who gets off the waitlist in a discernible way.

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2008, 08:38:11 PM »
I think they will just let the people who sign the form in first (as space allows) and then work with those who don't sign it (again, as space allows). Yeah, they are quite savy about protecting their yield.

BTW, I didn't get a chance to call today...will do asap.
(Just Adding Another Notch)

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2008, 08:41:56 PM »
I think they will just let the people who sign the form in first (as space allows) and then work with those who don't sign it (again, as space allows). Yeah, they are quite savy about protecting their yield.

Well I'm guessing people with lower numbers are more likely to send the form to them.  I doubt that will simply take the people who fill the form disregarding the numbers.

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2008, 08:56:46 PM »
Good point.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2008, 09:09:14 PM »

Well I'm guessing people with lower numbers are more likely to send the form to them.  I doubt that will simply take the people who fill the form disregarding the numbers.

This is exactly what's worrying me. Essentially I'm withdrawing by not signing this, as my numbers are not very good for them out of state.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

laughing hard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2008, 10:17:12 PM »

That was how I read this too. I think we need more data on how many people are likely to actually make the commitment before we start assuming that this is necessary to get a spot off the waitlist.

Maybe I'm being naive about this, but the language of the letter indicated that they were only extending the offer because of those people who asked for something like this... it seemed like UVA made a lot of waitlist offers this cycle, and it seems to me that the people most likely to commit to this are those for whom UVA is the longest reach. I just don't see them making offers to enough people to possibly affect their published 25-75% LSAT/GPA numbers just because those people made this commitment. UVA's waitlist FAQ says that potentially 10% of their class comes off the waitlist, which is definitely enough to affect those numbers if they take borderline candidates over those with higher numbers.
UCLA Law Class of 2011

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2008, 12:30:28 AM »
Just guessing, but I would look at it almost like a soft factor, in a way. You'd probably start with the best candidates, numbers-wise, but as you move down the list, being a 100%-committed applicant might move one up before someone with slightly-better numbers. This would probably matter more later into the summer, as you get to a point where you can't wait on someone to think it over, only to be told no thanks, I've already got an apartment in Ithaca or whatever.
UVA Law Class of 2011

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2008, 10:04:26 AM »
I imagine the profile of the incoming class is a little more important than the acceptance/matriculation yield. I do think this is an "option" they made available due to an overwhelming number of inquiries. It's not required. Maybe, we are just reading too much into it.

qoftheu

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2008, 11:47:10 AM »
i don't want to wait until july to find out :(

miracles86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
How are people assesing borderline numbers? What are borderline numbers for UVA?