Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What books should I read?  (Read 2186 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What books should I read?
« on: March 31, 2008, 01:19:46 PM »
I'm an OL and I've got some extra time for the next few months, so I want to read a couple books about law school.
I used the search function to look through past threads, but I couldn't tell which books would be the best. 

Can anybody give me some suggestions?  Can you also tell me why the book you are recommending is worthwhile?

pulvillus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What books should I read?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:51:29 PM »
Read what you want to read. One piece of advice I have been given a lot is to read for pleasure before LS. You'll have little opportunity to do so during school and if you won't cut it without prep, chances are you won't cut it with prep either. Just relax and have some fun.

mandy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 02:18:06 PM »
I can't find the search function.

I want to get some books to start reading up on main first year law topics. I think it will help with the anxiety I am feeling about this whole thing. Anyone have any ideas where to get an overview of the curriculum?

pulvillus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 04:24:41 PM »
Talk to 1Ls at your school. A bunch of schools gave me contact info of several current students, whom I may harass with questions.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »
I'm an OL and I've got some extra time for the next few months, so I want to read a couple books about law school.
I used the search function to look through past threads, but I couldn't tell which books would be the best. 

Can anybody give me some suggestions?  Can you also tell me why the book you are recommending is worthwhile?

What not to read: _One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School_
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0446673781/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

I personally found offense at the quote from when he's talking to the guy Terry Nazzario and he says "Hey, man, the only reason I got in here was 'cause they thought I was Puerto Rican..."
To whom much is given, much is expected.

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:55:57 PM »
Check to see if your law school has a recommended reading list. But don't spend the entire summer doing nothing but reading books off it. Enjoy what time you have left because you won't be reading for leisure in a few months.
That being said, I agree with most of the other posters. Law School Confidential, One L, Buffalo Creek Disaster, etc. were all good reads. In fact, I still have most of the books I read from our recommended reading list.

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 09:08:31 PM »
I guess I was the last 1L in my school who read Freakonomics. I did it over the Christmas break (actually, it took just a couple hours...).

gclemen1

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 09:11:40 PM »
Read Gideon's Trumpet.  Excellent book.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 09:18:44 PM »
If you're looking to read something about law school, read Law School Confidential.  It does a good job of easing pre-1L anxiety, and gears you up to deal with the smaller things that you might not think about otherwise.  Its study tips and whatnot might not be applicable depending on your style, but they at least give you a good starting point.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 09:26:49 PM »
Planet Law School II. Then get 1. Intro to Legal Reasoning by John Delaney, 2. LEEWS by Wentworth Miller, 3. the Delaney exam prep book (exact name escapes me right now).  That is all you need to be far ahead of your peers once school starts.