Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Living with/amongst undergrads in Law School  (Read 2188 times)

TerpSkins23

• View Profile
Living with/amongst undergrads in Law School
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:55:29 PM »
Hey guys,
  Have a question for anyone that might know.  I'm currently in the process of trying to find housing for when I will be at law school.  I've found some good places that I really like, but these places also house a considerable number of undergrads.  If I did live at one of these places there is a good chance (since I don't really know anyone) that I would be living with some or all ug's as roommates.  I know most law schools will tell you to steer clear of the undergrads as far as living because they will not have the same course load as you and may not respect/understand the amount of work you have to do and study time you require.

Should I try to just live with other law students, even if it means having to wait a bit and limiting my options of places to live, or is it not that big of a deal and I should just grab the good places while I can.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with this type of situation and/or anyone's thoughts and opinions.

Thanks/

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
Re: Living with/amongst undergrads in Law School
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:58:23 PM »
Slightly different situation, but I'm living with my friends from UG who will be working 9-5. I did chose not to live with another friend who will be waitressing because the different schedules would drive me nuts. I do most of my studying out of my apartment though, so I think it depends on our learning style. Also, the people I will be living with are respectful and considerate. I don't think it will be a problem.
GW '11?

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 01:16:46 PM »
Live where you would want to study during November - December when you are studying 24/7. Undergrad areas tend to have a lot of parties, which can interfere.

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:36:51 PM »
not only would i not have ug roommates, i won't even live in a building that rents to ugrads! Ugrads just aren't under the same pressure we are, they tend to be less respectful noise-wise, etc. furthermore, nice apartments don't usually rent to ugrads.

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 02:40:31 PM »
Also, consider living by yourself.  Even nice, sane, non-rowdy 9-5ers will still be hanging around the house when you need to quietly study or write.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:59:53 PM »
I dont want to live anywhere near UGs. I'll try to find a place by myself, or more likely, rent a room from a professional or fellow law student in a house/condo.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 03:04:49 PM »
Don't do it!!!

My friend lives in an apartment building full of undergrads and they make so much noise. You want to live somewhere where when it's time to sleep, you know it will be QUIET. A day full of classes and a brief to write totally sucks when you're on 4 hours of sleep.

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 03:25:53 PM »
Also, consider living by yourself.  Even nice, sane, non-rowdy 9-5ers will still be hanging around the house when you need to quietly study or write.

I have considered living alone, but since I will likely be in DC, that would be wayyyy more expensive. I think it depends on your situation and what sort of environment you need to get work done. As long as I don't have to hear the sounds of a raging kegger in the next room at 11 pm on a Monday, I think I'll be fine. :)
GW '11?

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »

I have considered living alone, but since I will likely be in DC, that would be wayyyy more expensive. I think it depends on your situation and what sort of environment you need to get work done. As long as I don't have to hear the sounds of a raging kegger in the next room at 11 pm on a Monday, I think I'll be fine. :)

i agree that it depends on you study habits. but i would spend the extra for my own place - i know it will pay off when i get good grades from all that extra studying and land a biglaw job.

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »

i agree that it depends on you study habits. but i would spend the extra for my own place - i know it will pay off when i get good grades from all that extra studying and land a biglaw job.

Sounds like you're pretty set then. :)

Regardless of personal study habits though, I agree that living with/among undergrads would be a baaaaaad decision.
GW '11?