Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers-Newark vs Temple  (Read 750 times)

imagurl

• View Profile
Rutgers-Newark vs Temple
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »
Any advice would be appreciated...down to Temple and Rutgers-Newark.  They seem pretty similar in reputation, atmosphere and course offerings to me, and I hope to work in Philly, with the option of maybe NJ or NYC as well.  If I go to Temple, I am leaving my SO in Brooklyn, who I plan on seeing on the weekends, and if I go to Rutgers, we will get a place convenient to Newark and Brooklyn and live together.  Pretty different outcomes.  I am nervous that once I am living in Philly I will not be able to devote weekends to seeing him because I will have too much to do.  He is a major factor in my consideration as we discuss a possible future together, but you only go to law school once and I want to go to the best possible school I can for my interests.  I went to ASW at Temple and loved it, I still need to visit Rutgers.  Any thoughts?

Adam1983

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rutgers-Newark vs Temple
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 02:24:37 PM »
What type of law are you interested in?

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
Any advice would be appreciated...down to Temple and Rutgers-Newark.  They seem pretty similar in reputation, atmosphere and course offerings to me, and I hope to work in Philly, with the option of maybe NJ or NYC as well.

So which is it?  Deciding where you want to practice will tell you where to go.  And though it kind of sucks, you need to try and give SO-related concerns as little weight as possible in making your choice.

I know I've grossly oversimplified your situation, but I hope that helps.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

imagurl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »
Thanks for replies. Not sure what type of law, interested in international and business law, but want to leave options open.  Visited Newark today, and it was okay, but I didn't get that same feeling that I got at Temple. But, it is apparently very easy to get in-state tuition at Rutgers just by showing your lease in NJ.  So price-wise it is a great deal.  But, Temple just seemed to click.  If I go there I may either move to Philly alone, or commute there from New Brunswick to live with SO.  Tough decisions!

Yossarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 04:49:19 PM »
will you be happier living alone in philly while attending a school you like more or living with SO attending a school you like less?
W&L '11

imagurl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »
Good question.  I know I have to pick the best school for me, you only go to law school once and I'm not willing to give up too much.  Sucks when you finally meet someone who is pretty close to perfect and then move away from them. It's a gamble.

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:39:20 AM »
Out of curiousity, why not apply to Brooklyn and/or Cardozo?
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

imagurl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 11:19:52 AM »
I really want to move away from the saturated, competitive NYC market.  I did apply to both, but with no scholarship to Cardozo, and BLS staying quiet on the subject, it is just so expensive. I don't want to be cornered into having to get a certain type of job just so I can pay back my loans.  Philadeplphia is a great city with housing costs that beat NYC by a milestone.  I think Rutgers will still give me opportunities in Philly, but a big part of me feels like Temple is the way to go. Even if I have to commute and hour-1.5.

Yossarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 11:26:14 AM »
I really want to move away from the saturated, competitive NYC market.  I did apply to both, but with no scholarship to Cardozo, and BLS staying quiet on the subject, it is just so expensive. I don't want to be cornered into having to get a certain type of job just so I can pay back my loans.  Philadeplphia is a great city with housing costs that beat NYC by a milestone.  I think Rutgers will still give me opportunities in Philly, but a big part of me feels like Temple is the way to go. Even if I have to commute and hour-1.5.

Did you apply to Rutgers-Camden? Rutgers-Camden placement in Philly would be far better than Newark. Newark primarily places in Northern NJ and NYC.

If you got a good feel from temple and could see yourself there for 3 years I would think that is where you should go if you have to commute for 1 year or not.
W&L '11