Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can You Have A Life in Law School?  (Read 2304 times)

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can You Have A Life in Law School?
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 06:38:39 PM »
You not only can, but you must.

If you don't, you will drown.  Find outlets for your stress.  Make sure you take care of yourself.  It honestly doesn't require 12-14 hour days.  If you're effective with your time, you could easily get by with 4-5 hours a day in addition to your two classes and still do a ton of work (I'm talking about what's required and then a lot extra).  And you only need to work one day over the weekend, max.

I cannot agree more with this post. I think there is a point where you are doing more harm than good by killing yourself studying. If you are an exercise person, make time to exercise every day. It will help clear your mind. Be efficient with your study time, and with your play time. Don't mix the two.

Of course this varies based on the person. I'm not a big studier until about 3 weeks or so before the exam. I keep my head above water, and don't fall behind, but I don't think I really step it up until a few weeks before. I know if I do that, I will peak right around exam time. It might take a semester to dial this in (which sucks, I know) but once you find your sweet spot, stick with it. Don't kill yourself.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 10:18:36 PM »
I would go crazy if I didn't take time out of my life to do some heavy drinking, sex, and video games every now and then. Take today for instance: I spent the whole weekend finishing up my memo, turned it in just before noon today, and have been drinking ever since. I will continue drinking tonight. Hopefully sex will follow. Class tomorrow, back to work.

TITCR. You (well, at least I) have to take time off from all of the law school bull every now and then or else you'll go crazy sooner or later. The best thing I've done this semester is skip two whole days and not do anything law school related during them or the weekend they ran into. 4 days off worked wonders for my mental health/motivation and I was so much more in the game when I came back.

Honestly, I think all law schools should take a mid-semester break for a week for the sake of the students. Someone (one of the Cals? W&M? Somebody) already does this, but I don't think most places do. FSU sure doesn't. ;)
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 04:51:03 PM »

Honestly, I think all law schools should take a mid-semester break for a week for the sake of the students. Someone (one of the Cals? W&M? Somebody) already does this, but I don't think most places do. FSU sure doesn't. ;)

Ohio State does.