Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can You Have A Life in Law School?  (Read 2302 times)

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can You Have A Life in Law School?
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:48:26 AM »
Lets say your going to a Tier 2, for instance somewhere like a Rutgers. Is it still possible to have a life and still be one of the better students. Im I going to have to study 12 hours a day. I can see myself treating it like a 9 to 5 and going to work every day but I hear people acting like they pull late nights every night.

So I guess my question really is how is your life in law school? also how are your grades?

Is there time for sports? lifting? dating? fun? Im having doubts about giving up 3 years of my prime to books.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can You Have A Life in Law School?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:06:42 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ABhatAfsA

"because its 1L, life is hell"

Seriously though, I'm a slacker and my grades are 'aight'. 

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 03:11:27 AM »
Lets say your going to a Tier 2, for instance somewhere like a Rutgers. Is it still possible to have a life and still be one of the better students. Im I going to have to study 12 hours a day. I can see myself treating it like a 9 to 5 and going to work every day but I hear people acting like they pull late nights every night.

So I guess my question really is how is your life in law school? also how are your grades?

Is there time for sports? lifting? dating? fun? Im having doubts about giving up 3 years of my prime to books.

I'm sure you can...you just have to be more efficient and productive with the time you spend studying.

If you are really considering Rutgers, you should PM the mod Burning Sands.
Columbia 3L

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 04:26:10 AM »
You not only can, but you must.

If you don't, you will drown.  Find outlets for your stress.  Make sure you take care of yourself.  It honestly doesn't require 12-14 hour days.  If you're effective with your time, you could easily get by with 4-5 hours a day in addition to your two classes and still do a ton of work (I'm talking about what's required and then a lot extra).  And you only need to work one day over the weekend, max.

J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 12:49:08 PM »
The "It's not a race, but a marathon" axiom really holds true during your 1L year. There will be moments where you will be putting forth 8+ hours plus per day of work. Depending on your law school, you might have a memo or brief due during your 1L year which requires a ton of work. If you are efficient, it shouldn't stress you out. But if you're like the other 90% of law students, you will put this off and will have a couple of days of only 4 hours worth of sleep to get it done. This will also start occurring 4-5 weeks before finals (depending on when your "panic" mode starts).

But on a day to day basis, I don't think you can mentally work 12-14+ hours per day. You could probably read and process some minor concepts, but you should be focusing on the big picture to understand how the minor concepts (which are usually tested on) interplay. I see a lot of med students going days on end studying before their exams, but they frequently take exams throughout their academic schedule, while law students will take them once a semester. Plus, the way med schools test is memorization, while it is completely different in law school, which is why studying non-stop is pointless. If you are only trying to memorize then the 12-14 hour/day study schedule would probably benefit you. But if you are trying to understand and conceptualize, which is what you should be doing in law school, your brain probably could not function beyond 8 straight hours  of decent work. Now lawyers do work 12-14 hours a day, but note that they are not reinventing the wheel during those hours; a lot of the work is just applying what they already know which requires less brain power than what you have to do while studying for a law school exam. But this is how I have approached law school, so it is going to be different for each person.   

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:08:23 PM »
Sure it's possible, just depends on how good you are at managing your time and creating a schedule for yourself.

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 07:44:07 PM »
The "It's not a race, but a marathon" axiom really holds true during your 1L year. There will be moments where you will be putting forth 8+ hours plus per day of work. Depending on your law school, you might have a memo or brief due during your 1L year which requires a ton of work. If you are efficient, it shouldn't stress you out. But if you're like the other 90% of law students, you will put this off and will have a couple of days of only 4 hours worth of sleep to get it done. This will also start occurring 4-5 weeks before finals (depending on when your "panic" mode starts).

But on a day to day basis, I don't think you can mentally work 12-14+ hours per day. You could probably read and process some minor concepts, but you should be focusing on the big picture to understand how the minor concepts (which are usually tested on) interplay. I see a lot of med students going days on end studying before their exams, but they frequently take exams throughout their academic schedule, while law students will take them once a semester. Plus, the way med schools test is memorization, while it is completely different in law school, which is why studying non-stop is pointless. If you are only trying to memorize then the 12-14 hour/day study schedule would probably benefit you. But if you are trying to understand and conceptualize, which is what you should be doing in law school, your brain probably could not function beyond 8 straight hours  of decent work. Now lawyers do work 12-14 hours a day, but note that they are not reinventing the wheel during those hours; a lot of the work is just applying what they already know which requires less brain power than what you have to do while studying for a law school exam. But this is how I have approached law school, so it is going to be different for each person.   

Someone get dinged by med school?  ;)
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 09:36:05 PM »

Someone get dinged by med school?  ;)

This was a worthwhile grave to dig...
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »
Good question.

I'm at Chicago, so perhaps this info may not be as relevant to Rutgers, but I have a life, and I'm not even as efficient as my peers.  (see: time I waste on LSD.)

Part of my trick is to focus on studying for the exam, not the class.  Take tonight.  I haven't bothered with Torts or Property, but I don't have those finals this quarter, so who cares?  I spent most of this weekend studying for Civil Procedure and Elements, and, in those classes, I feel ready to rock.

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 06:23:03 PM »
I would go crazy if I didn't take time out of my life to do some heavy drinking, sex, and video games every now and then. Take today for instance: I spent the whole weekend finishing up my memo, turned it in just before noon today, and have been drinking ever since. I will continue drinking tonight. Hopefully sex will follow. Class tomorrow, back to work.
Tulane c/o 2011