Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American law schools easier to get in?  (Read 2927 times)

Crazy Canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
American law schools easier to get in?
« on: October 04, 2004, 08:00:21 PM »
I have been doing a lot of research and have come to the conclusion that most american schools are easier to get into than the few Canadian that are available. And there are many that are significantly easier. Is this well known or am I not taking some huge factor in to consideration when looking at these schools (aside from the logistical problems such as cost and actually practicing law in the U.S)?

With my UGPA of about 3.1, and LSAT which should be about 155, it seems I have at least a shot at getting into one of the american schools, but I'm not even close to any Canadian.

Am I correct in my assupmtions?

Thanks

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: American law schools easier to get in?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 08:07:10 PM »
hahaha ... basically, no

US schools are WAY harder to get into than Canadian schools.  There is so much more competition it's ridiculous!  Plus the process is 100x longer and more tedious and getting into a US school is requires more work ... I'm bitter about it ...

Anyways, yeah ... the thing is, there are so many more law schools in the states.  So, you can probably get into a US law school, but with those numbers you will be looking at pretty low tiered school.

Have you looked into U of Windsor.  I think those numbers can get you in there.  I'll check on that ...

Crazy Canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 08:19:41 PM »
well to be honest I don't particularly care where I go to law school (as long as its not a hole in the wall), it certainly seems that they're is more of an opportunity for my relatively lower accademic standing in the U.S.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 08:25:03 PM »
i disagree with cheeks.  it's harder to get into the top law schools, perhaps (well, probably/most likely).  but we have 187 ABA-accredited schools.  a 155/3.1 will get the crazy canuck into several, i would guess.  the problem is that these would be lower-tiered schools, which may make it hard to take that degree to canada (in terms of getting a job, b/c of the school's reputation).  and from what i've heard, higher tiered schools focus more on theory, whereas lower tiered schools teach practical application.  i don't know if this limits you in terms of the international issue either.  but to give you a simple answer: you can get into US schools with those numbers.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Crazy Canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 08:30:30 PM »
That's whay my understanding was, I'm actually contemplating practicing law in the US, (I've looked at all the citizen options) I could make significantly more money in the U.S. (way lower taxes, higher pay, lower cost of living) assuming I get a job.  :)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 08:33:25 PM »
I don't think we disagree pookie :D ... I think I was trying to say the same thing.

There are a lot more schools in the US, so I'm sure you can get into one of them with those numbers.  You should look into schools in a region where you want to practice or live for the next few years, and see which ones you like ...

check out this site ...

http://www.bc.edu/offices/careers/gradschool/law/lawlocator/

and the chart at the bottom

Crazy Canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 08:37:01 PM »
Great, thanks for the help!

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 09:27:10 PM »
US schools are way harder to get into for the top schools, especially if the LSAT is your weak section.  However, the cutoffs for lower ranked schools are way lower than any of Canada's schools.  So, US schools are actually way easier to get into, unless you're aiming for higher up schools.

Think about redoing the LSAT.  While your GPA in Canada puts you at a GREAT disadvantage, in US it won't matter that much.  So if you think you can spend some time and ace the LSAT, tier 1 schools will be open to you too.  That is a chance you won't have in Canada...
No longer here.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 12:05:34 AM »
so all three of us agree now.  good :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 12:11:29 AM »
so all three of us agree now.  good :)

Yay, consensus!
No longer here.