Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me choose a school!!  (Read 818 times)

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Help me choose a school!!
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:16:42 PM »
I am trying to decide between the U of Arkansas - Fayetteville and Oklahoma. I would come out of the U of A with virtually no debt at all, and would probably have between 15-25K in debt after going to OU.

I know OU is ranked higher, but the U of A is the second highest T3 in the 2009 rankings and they both really cater to the same region (mostly Tulsa, Little Rock, OKC, NW Ark and Dallas).

I'm from Dallas (went to U of A for UG) so I have a good amount of law contacts in Dallas and NW Ark.

What do you all think?

Thx!

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help me choose a school!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:46:07 PM »
I think it really doesn't matter.  Both are fine options if you want to practice in that area and you won't have much debt either way.  Do you like Fayetville or Norman/OK City better?  I think it's generally a better idea to get your law degree from a different school than your UG, but I don't really think it matters.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:51:58 PM »
I've heard that as well about going to a different school for law. I don't see why that would really matter. I'm definitely not one that will be applying for BigLaw either, and beyond that I don't know who would care that I went to the U of A for both.

I am getting married here (NW Ark) in May so that is a big factor that has me leaning to the U of A since my fiance has a really good job here already.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:18:12 AM »
U of A might be a pretty good option giving your circumstance, probably wouldn't be bad either way.

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 12:31:15 PM »
It will be a lot easier for you to find a job in Dallas coming out of OU than Arkansas due to ranking and proximity. The fact that you have connections to the DFW area will help you after you graduate, but you are going to have be on the very top of your class to be competitive with the higher paying Dallas firms.

But if you don't mind practicing law in the Arkansas region for a few years out of law school, then Arkansas sounds like the best option (especially considering your financial and family situation).

areopagite

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »

I know OU is ranked higher, but the U of A is the second highest T3 in the 2009 rankings and they both really cater to the same region (mostly Tulsa, Little Rock, OKC, NW Ark and Dallas).

I'm pretty sure there is no ranking within the third tier (same for the fourth tier).  Most lists just put them in alphabetical order.  I don't know how much weight you were putting on that factor, but you may want to take this into consideration.  Sorry I don't have any substantial advice to offer, except that Fayetteville's a pretty town.  Best of luck!
John Dewey on standardized tests:

"It reminds me of how we weighed pigs on my grandfather's farm.  You lay a board over a fence, put the pig on one end and pile rocks on the other.  Then you guess how much the rocks weigh."

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 01:18:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure there is no ranking within the third tier (same for the fourth tier).  Most lists just put them in alphabetical order. 

That is what I thought too, but I think they changed that this year. The schools are no longer put in alphabetically order. I think USNEWS is now ranking the 3rd and 4th tiers, but I could be wrong.

the great Oz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 12:52:28 AM »
Why is OU law ranked on the 2nd tier and the University of Tulsa on the 4th tier, when Tulsa has a higher bar passage rate than OU?  ::) ???  I think they have relatively the same standards in LSAT scores and GPA as well.

I wonder why more weight is not given to bar passage rate. It seems to me, after it is all said and done, that the sole reason for law school ultimately is to pass a bar examination.  :-\

I'm thinking about choosing Tulsa over OU because they have a unique duel degree in JD/ Masters in Finance that can be completed in Three years instead of the usual four years it takes to get duel degrees in most programs. I want to work either in Securities Law or some kind of "In House" transactional work. My stretch schools will probably be Fordham Law or Cardozo because New York is the tip of the spear for securities markets  :)