Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Law School really so time consuming that I can't have a job??  (Read 2069 times)

falkies

• View Profile
I know some schools forbid having a job during 1L, and others frown upon it, but is LS really that hard and time consuming that I can't even work part time? 

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is Law School really so time consuming that I can't have a job??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »
I know everybody is going to say 'Yes', but let me just throw in an anecdotal case. My mentor, who went to UNC, worked as a waiter all the way through to support his family. He did very well, got excellent jobs, etc.

He was also older, responsible, grounded, driven and super smart. I think these characteristics definitely helped him juggle family/ work/ school.

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:18:56 PM »
Definitely not first semester, but possibly second semester if the hours weren't too bad.

Muhammad Ali

• Who's the prettiest? Who's the greatest?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
I doubt it is.  Some people just can't cut it and project that upon others.  Of course it's far easier to dedicate yourself to just one goal but it's not impossible.

By the way, schools aren't the ones who frown upon it, it's ABA rules, I believe.
I'm the most recognized and loved man that ever lived cause there weren't no satellites when Jesus and Moses were around, so people far away in the villages didn't know about them.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/muhammadali

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
It's kind of what you make of it.  It can be as time consuming as you want it to be and take up as little time as you want it to.  Kind of depends on you.  However, in my experience law school rewards hard work much more so than just natural intelligence.

armada

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have people to go and places to see!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 03:02:33 PM »
It's kind of what you make of it.  It can be as time consuming as you want it to be and take up as little time as you want it to.  Kind of depends on you.  However, in my experience law school rewards hard work much more so than just natural intelligence.

This is good to hear.  I've come across so many posts that the grades a person ends up with is mostly based on luck that it just became discouraging.

SCOTUS20

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 03:05:26 PM »
You could pull off part-time, but you definitely don't want to be in a situation where you're working nights and going to class during the day.  Just keep it simple.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »
I'm a 1L. I worked 2 jobs and went full time to school during undergrad. I also worked for several years before law school.

I don't know how anyone could work during FT 1L, even if they were super-geniuses with amazing time management skills and boundless energy. Remember that your fellow 1Ls aren't working and have more time than you to focus on school if you decide to work. Your 1L grades are critical to getting the 2L summer job that may very well become your job offer upon graduation.

So suck it up, save some money and live frugally your first year. The long-term rewards are more important.

Just my 2 cents after having gone through the process this year. I'm grateful I'm not working and going to school concurrently. It sucks being poor, but I'd rather know I did all I could to maximize my grades.
Vanderbilt 2010

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 04:01:58 PM »

This is good to hear.  I've come across so many posts that the grades a person ends up with is mostly based on luck that it just became discouraging.

Usually people who say it is just luck are people in the middle of the pack and they are in part right.  The difference between a B-, B, and B+ is really the professor splitting hairs so that is partially luck.  But usually people at the top of the class are not just lucky.  They worked their butt off by studying hard to get there.  I'm an example.  I study more than anybody I know and while I am not the smartest kid ever I still ended up #1 in the class.  Also, usually people at the bottom of the class are not just unlucky, they are just lazy or don't care.  That has been my experience at least.

However, there are exceptions.  Some slackers might do well for whatever reason and some really hard workers might not be working "smart" and do horribly.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 04:59:30 PM »
Agreed but first semester is a huge learning curve. You're better off now working if you are a FT student. 2nd semester, I can see relaxing that rule b/c you have figured out what you need to do to be successful (or what you should have done). I've got more free time this semester, to be sure, but I'm not resting on my laurels! :)
Vanderbilt 2010