Law School Discussion

USC 1L Answers Questions

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: USC 1L Answers Questions
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 02:46:41 PM »
How difficult is it to land a nice job in DC/NYC market if you were so inclined?

it's a good question that i wish I knew a better answer for. I don't think it's difficult to land either in terms of getting hired, but the internal structure for getting those jobs isn't well established. In other words, while I think firms in NY/DC will be perfectly happy to hire USC students, there's not a long history and connection to the school, so it's a bit harder to find the jobs and so forth.

If you absolutely know you want to go east coast after, I'd go somewhere closer to there. I don't necessarily think you're at a disadvantage, but you're going to have to put in more effort to find the jobs and that kind of thing.

That said, we have sort of an external OCI (contradiction, i know) in DC and NY with a few other schools (such as UCLA) in those cities over the summer.

iscoredawaitlist

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 03:41:58 PM »
one last bump before admit day. Any questions before you get here? If you're around, go to the diversity reception. I understand it's open bar, and I'll be there along with lots of other 1Ls. I won't be around for most of the Friday stuff because I'm heading out of town, but I'm sure that you'll have a good time (although it is exceptionally long)

iscoredawaitlist

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 09:22:54 AM »
one last bump before admit day. Any questions before you get here? If you're around, go to the diversity reception. I understand it's open bar, and I'll be there along with lots of other 1Ls. I won't be around for most of the Friday stuff because I'm heading out of town, but I'm sure that you'll have a good time (although it is exceptionally long)

I'll be there,
just got into LA.
parking suggestions? or just use the lot?

hmm good question. Did they not mention anything about parking in the stuff they sent you? It seems like they'd have parking available somewhere. If not, then parking during the day is 8 dollars for the day in one of the parking structures. There's street parking that's metered on week days you can do as well.

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 10:32:46 AM »
iscore,

You mentioned the summer fellowships in the NYU vs USC forum. Are students notified of their acceptance into these programs right when they are accepted? How does it work?

iscoredawaitlist

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 05:17:07 PM »
iscore,

You mentioned the summer fellowships in the NYU vs USC forum. Are students notified of their acceptance into these programs right when they are accepted? How does it work?

not having one (blast!), i'm not entirely sure. I think most are notified around when they get their scholarship info, but i know at least one girl who got hers a week from when school was beginning because they had one left over or something like that.

iscoredawaitlist

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 10:52:11 PM »
because my write on is due in under two days, I thought I'd give this thread one more bump for any questions that might still be out there. Also, I'd love to hear where those coming from far away ended up living (not specifically, mind you, but generally).