Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

has what a person reads/doesn't read ever raised a red flag in a relationship?  can you imagine it doing so?

a. yes, it could be a problem
 15 (50%)
b. no, i don't care
 15 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Is literary compatibility important to you?  (Read 4147 times)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Is literary compatibility important to you?
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 11:01:15 PM »
I liked "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat"

You'd get along with the SO.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 11:18:50 PM »
I doubt I would be compatible with someone who never reads but compatibility is silly. WHy would you want someone who just reads exactly what you read? anyway, with the possible exception of random, likely, no one here will have ever heard of my favorite book (unless you're into 1970s CanLit. what? no takers?)

<-- would have heard of it
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 11:19:34 PM »
I was just berating the SO for not yet having read a book I bought him three years ago  :D

We have different taste for sure. It used to drive me nuts, because I wanted to share stuff that I liked with him, but it's good that he knows what he likes.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 11:30:33 PM »
I doubt I would be compatible with someone who never reads but compatibility is silly. WHy would you want someone who just reads exactly what you read? anyway, with the possible exception of random, likely, no one here will have ever heard of my favorite book (unless you're into 1970s CanLit. what? no takers?)

<-- would have heard of it

Oh J! I forgot! Margaret Laurence's The Diviners.

Really?  I've read a bit of Laurence, but nothing substantial, and certainly not that.

I feel like we dissected one of her short stories in grade 12, but I may be wrong.

BlueGreen

• Sr. Citizen
  • [insert vague quote here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 03:48:30 AM »
this thread is gettin me worried.
anybody else worried about going to law school and being the only one who *doesn't* read hemmingway etc. for kicks?

<--complete tv-and-trashy-books junkie
HLS class of 2011
LSN

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 03:58:45 AM »
anybody else worried about going to law school and being the only one who *doesn't* read hemmingway etc. for kicks?

I don't.  Chill out.

BlueGreen

• Sr. Citizen
  • [insert vague quote here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 04:10:08 AM »

I don't.  Chill out.

i can't. natural born worrier.   ;)
HLS class of 2011
LSN

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »
Nothing worse than intellectual snobbery. I love it when I date someone who reads something I don't. It's a great way to learn somethinig new or get introduced to a genre I don't normally read. Also nothing more fun than teasing the SO about the junk they read. :)

negativeexternality

• emory 2011 - i can has law degree?!?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jbeckett72
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/books/review/Donadio-t.html?em&ex=1207022400&en=be66964abe7c5f54&ei=5087%0A

"Anyone who cares about books has at some point confronted the Pushkin problem: when a missed — or misguided — literary reference makes it chillingly clear that a romance is going nowhere fast."

puke

this thread drips pretension (well, not all of it).

i like to read too, but i don't have such a big stick up my ass that i can't relate to people who don't feel like pushing their way through all 800+ pages of the brothers karamazov.  

if you seriously are ok with passing judgement on someone's intellect because they read tom clancy and john grisham instead of cormac mccarthy and thomas pynchon, you need to get over yourself. in fact, if you're dropping literary references in casual conversation, you really, really need to get over yourself.  

(sorry, i just happen to work in my school's writing center around a bunch of pretentious f*cks who have these quasi-erudite, extremely silly literary conversations and i think i have grown extremely bitter towards all literate undergrads, particularly english majors, as a result)
¡si me gusta!: W&L ($$$), W&M ($$), ND ($$), Emory ($$$), OSU ($$), GMU, Fordham ($), some other TTTs (no, really, i hate that term)

just friends: vandy, BC, GWU

modus pwned: Michigan, UVa

WTFMAKEADECISION!!!1!: WUSTL

negativeexternality

• emory 2011 - i can has law degree?!?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jbeckett72
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 10:44:26 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/books/review/Donadio-t.html?em&ex=1207022400&en=be66964abe7c5f54&ei=5087%0A

"Anyone who cares about books has at some point confronted the Pushkin problem: when a missed — or misguided — literary reference makes it chillingly clear that a romance is going nowhere fast."

puke

this thread drips pretension (well, not all of it).

i like to read too, but i don't have such a big stick up my ass that i can't relate to people who don't feel like pushing their way through all 800+ pages of the brothers karamazov. 

if you seriously are ok with passing judgement on someone's intellect because they read tom clancy and john grisham instead of cormac mccarthy and thomas pynchon, you need to get over yourself. in fact, if you're dropping literary references in casual conversation, you really, really need to get over yourself. 

(sorry, i just happen to work in my school's writing center around a bunch of pretentious f*cks who have these quasi-erudite, extremely silly literary conversations and i think i have grown extremely bitter towards all literate undergrads, particularly english majors, as a result)
¡si me gusta!: W&L ($$$), W&M ($$), ND ($$), Emory ($$$), OSU ($$), GMU, Fordham ($), some other TTTs (no, really, i hate that term)

just friends: vandy, BC, GWU

modus pwned: Michigan, UVa

WTFMAKEADECISION!!!1!: WUSTL