Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: which school  (Read 2369 times)

oldlaw

• View Profile
which school
« on: March 30, 2008, 02:56:02 AM »
Are any of you older law students going to go to school in the South?  I have gone to a few pre-law days,and no one is older than 24 that I've seen.  The professors look at me and say, "Oh and are you coming to law school too?".  I guess they think I am the mother of the 20 something in the seat next to me.  I really look young for my age (40), but not compared to the 20 year olds of course.  Love to hear where everyone is planning to go.  Thanks for responding.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: which school
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »
I am! Probably. Looking for my Cornell rejection any day now. All my other schools are Southern. So far, University of Florida is the top contender.

I don't know about everybody else, but I have multiple jobs/ finishing my BA/ little spare $, so going to ASW's are pretty much out for me. I expect many nontrads have commitments which make it more difficult to schedule one specific weekend for visiting. Not to mention, Mom and Dad aren't picking up the travel bill anymore  ;).

I bet there are more nontrads than you think at your school. If not, all the better since you can wipe the floor with the trads. Hopefully.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:00:18 AM »
I am a nontrad at UF. Honestly, the age thing doesn't factor in after the first few weeks. Your friends are your friends. Period. I choose not to hang out with skirt-chasing booze hounds... and I have found those come both in the newly-minted college graduate variety as well as the nontrads. Similiarly, I have befriended some younger students who possess amazing maturity and composure, as well as non-trads.

At UF, we've formed a non-trad student organization this year and it has been a great way to bring the non-trads together.

There are a lot more of us than we think! Non-trads tend not to be as socially involved with the law school, or more conscious about making a spectacle of themselves in class. So they try harder to fly under the radar in order to not stand out as non trads. We non-trads also keep our noses buried in our books during 1L b/c our mission is to kick butt in school. We're not as concerned with the student bar association socials and pub crawls. ;)

Go with the school that will get you where you want to go, career-wise. It's only three years. The rest of your life and career are much longer.
Vanderbilt 2010

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:17:16 AM »
While I am just 28, I feel quite a bit older than most of the students I see coming out of college.  I am going to attend Georgia State part-time, so older students will probably be the majority in my case.  I really wouldn't worry about being older.  In fact, I think you'll have a lot more fun than many of your younger classmates. 

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »
Um no. The younger students are having a lot more fun. Trust me.
Vanderbilt 2010

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 02:07:37 PM »
Um no. The younger students are having a lot more fun. Trust me.

haha, that would depend on the definition of "fun", then.

TRad

• Hope springs eternal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:03:40 PM »
I'm older.... will celebrate my 40th birthday in October and hopefully at W & M.

What I've found to be true for me is that the closer I get to 40, the less I give a hoot what anyone thinks about me.  I know what I am and what I have to offer and that's enough.

I don't think the young'uns can touch this level of confidence and that will make all the difference.

I"m going to go to school and do my thing, making friends as appropriate without being captive to their youthful shenanigans.

I much prefer my kind of shenanigans, anyway!!!

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »
I'm a 1L who just turned 30. I think older students have an advantage over those fresh out of undergrad. Since most of us had a career that we were leaving rather than just a job, I think we're better equipped to manage time, handle stress, etc. Part of that is because we have more to lose and take it much more seriously. I'm saying that is my take generally. Don't get me wrong, there are some younger students who can do the same, so don't jump on me for my observation.

Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 10:58:08 AM »
I have been reading posts on the LSD forum since last summer, and on most of the other subgroups (LSAT, applications etc.), most of the posters seem to be in their early twenties. I get the impression that many of them are not sure that they are suited to the career of being a lawyer. Most of us old fogies, on the other hand, seem to be quite sure of our talents and interests. I am hoping this means that we will do well at law school!

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »
The UVA ASW I went to had a few older admits in attendance. As long as you're approachable you shouldn't have problems in terms of feeling excluded. I'm 22 and I wouldn't be put off by having older students in my class and I would be pretty active in becoming friends because older students have many strengths that would help in study groups.