Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do Older Students Ever Get Scholarships?  (Read 12639 times)

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
Re: Do Older Students Ever Get Scholarships?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 11:57:42 AM »
hey, I am at the younger end of the non-trad group (27), but I think it's awesome that so many wiser and more experienced people are going to law school!  don't let the young 'uns scare you off!  we all need to be reminded that it's never to late to pursue your dreams.

Scootertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 02:50:24 AM »
 :oHey, Alecto, thanks for the props, man...  Remember, though...Age and wisdom, while widely held to be compatriots; are at times diametric opposites...  That said, life in this "republic" of ours generally bears out that there are the old, and there are fools.  However, for the most part, there are very few old fools. ;) ;D

Many of us have dreams...  All of us should.  They often begin as a fleeting, seemingly inoccuous lone observation or question, and as we continue to observe and question, they form full thoughts.  Thoughts, in most cases, multiply when they are properly tended.  In time, such processes can, for some, become dreams that permeate the conciousness on many levels.

Dreams, when left to themselves, remain pleasant, rather ethereal companions.  While enjoyable, they seldom produce tangible results.  Dreams, in order to be actualized, require a catalyst to truly launch them from the theoretical realm into the light of day.  This catalyst is called "action."

When action is properly applied to a well-cultivated dream, it is often possible to achieve, in my opinion, that elusive thing which is the only product that truly counts in this life relative to any costly endeavor:  RESULTS.

Good luck to everyone...  You're never too old unless you're dead!  I sincerely hope you all live forever and the last voice you hear on this earth is mine... ;D

As we strive to excell, we shall strengthen and hone the msuculature necessary to support our future burgeoning wallets; (full of cards & contacts from networking of course) 8) 8)

Scootertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 02:55:14 AM »
Wow, UG & Grad school & I still can't type or spell musculature..... :-[ :-[

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 09:05:53 PM »
Wow, UG & Grad school & I still can't type or spell musculature..... :-[ :-[

...not to mention "innocuous" and "excel"...

:P

bridget_jones

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 10:06:35 PM »
Just remember, smarty had a party and nobody came. . .

brianwithani

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 08:28:18 AM »
I am 35 and recieved a full tuition scholarship plus $5,000/yr stipend to a T2 school with a UGPA of 3.7 and a "disappointing" 158 (Not at all disappointing to me, but some think so).  I applied for the scholarship by writing an additional essay and that two page essay ended up being worth $111,000.  There were definitely many students with better numbers competing for the scholarship but I honestly believe that my nontraditional experiences in my PS and a fairly well written essay made the difference.  Take heart, there's a full ride out there if you look hard enough.
"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is a habit."  Socrates

Tracy T

• I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down !
    • AOL Instant Messenger - theebmonique
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »
Wow...so there is hope for us oldies !

I am 47 and have been teaching school for the past 15 years and seem to need a change. I figure my extra time in the summer will be spent styudying this year.

I started with the Kaplan Premier book/CD-ROM in May and will take a week long prep course at Weber State University in August.  I have ordered the Logoc Games Bible...should arrive soon.  I also have SEVERAL of the old LSAT tests via lsac.org.

My diagnostic score was 150 and I have done as high as 155 on the paper/pencil tests, but the CD-ROM versions are my nemesis..keep getting 145-150.  Not sure why.

Financially, the University of Utah would be best, but Notre Dame is the sentimental fav.  My niece has decided she wants to play soccer for the Irish and with her having 2 years of high school still to go, I figure it gives me two years to prepare to get into ND.  It would be great if we could attend together !

OK...back to the grind.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 07:41:02 PM »
Yes schools will offer $$ (or maybe even $$$) to older non-trads if the numbers are good enough. I applied to 2 local schools PT and was offered $$ at each (with a later offer to double the merit scholarship if I went FT instead of PT).
Good luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

1lstudent

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 01:31:04 AM »
lsat prep course is crucial if you are considering law school.  The lsat is the most important consideration in admissions decisions.  That is why some people pay upwards of $10,000 on lsat prep (If you get a $50,000 scholarship as a result of an increased lsat, though, the lsat prep pays for itself).

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 01:27:52 AM »
I will turn 30 next month and got a very nice scholarship.  I don't think age played as much into it as my LSAT/GPA (although Northwestern does cater to older students more than most schools).  Invest the money in hard-core LSAT prep.