Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do Older Students Ever Get Scholarships?  (Read 13534 times)

Am I too old?

• View Profile
Do Older Students Ever Get Scholarships?
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:27:07 PM »
I am old -have my CPA, worked in Corporate America for 17 years; originally planned to go to law school 2 years back and took the LSAT with little preparation naively thinking my work resume would wow admissions.  My score was a disappointing 158.  I had hoped to get some scholarship help at our local T2 school but not with that score. So even though I was admitted, I decided not to go as the tuition scared me off (I have college-aged kids myself so I had trouble justifying the expense for myself though it has always been a dream). The dream has not gone away and I am wondering if it is worth taking the time to invest in a LSAT prep course to improve my score in the hopes of getting some scholarship help.  Do older students get scholarships?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Texas

• View Profile
Re: Do Older Students Ever Get Scholarships?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:21:33 PM »
Yes, schools go give merit scholarships to "old" students.

I am also "old" (50). I took a practice LSAT last summer with no preparation and got in the mid 150's like you. Then I studied about 150 hours all summer and part of the fall, and got 178 (99% percentile) on the real test on September 29. First I studied a prep book from Princeton, I think. Then I studied the "Bibles" and many, many old actual tests. You can buy these on Amazon. For me, the hardest part was the games. So I actually wound up doing each real game section at least three times, spaced out a few weeks apart usually. It was like an extra job or a hobby that bordered on obsession. If I had not taken it so seriously, I would never have scored so high. I probably spent around $1,000 on preparation, the test itself, a motel room near the test site the night before etc.

My undergraduate GPA was 3.4, not high at all these days.

Then when scores were reported, I started getting emails from all sorts of schools inviting me to apply without paying their application fee, so I applied to around 18 or 20 schools, just for fun. I received many partial or full tuition scholarships based on merit, from schools all around the country, even some T1's.

oldlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:42:05 AM »
I have received several partial and full tuition scholarship offers with a 163 LSAT, and I have been out of college 2o yrs.  I also thought that my work background would be attractive to schools, but they don't care.  In fact, I have decided that they really consider you a liability, cuz you might scare off the younger crowd from the school.  I have visited a few schools, and I haven't seen the first "older" law student yet!  Not even a 30 something.  Maybe they are just hiding.  I hope to find at least one other person close to my age this Fall. I will say that the students I have met have been friendly and open to conversation despite age differences.  I didn't even know I was old until I started this journey.  My kids are 2 and 6 years old.  You should definitely study for the LSAT and go for it.  The expense is justified, and your kids will be proud of you!

Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 09:33:33 AM »
Maybe that is the reason that St. Mary's (T4) seems attractive to me: I saw several older students (even some with gray hair!!!) in each of the two classes I sat in on.

Am I too old?

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 11:37:08 AM »
Thanks for the responses and encouragement.  I am 47 (ouch) but don't feel like I'm 47.  I think I will give it a try again.  I have been making excuses for myself.

Good luck to you other "older" students - you inspire me!

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 01:42:55 PM »
I'm 39 and I got some scholarships. And it's simply a numbers game. Higher than the 75th percentile, you'll probably get money. Lower than the median, No money.

I've only visited UVA and I saw a few other folks older than 30. Berkeley this coming week. Berkeley's average age is a bit higher than UVA and I saw on the website last night that 9% of last year's class was older than 30. With a class size of 270 (I think that's what it said) that's over 20 people. Not a lot, true, but I take heart in knowing I won't be the OLDEST one there. Probably.

Good luck! And yes, NAIL the LSAT. I spent 11 weeks prepping and think I probably hit my best score. My best score in practice was 175, and in the last few weeks I was averaging around 171 so I was really pleased with my score. I started out missing 75% of the LG questions and on the Sept test I got them all right. So practice really does help.

Oldguy48

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »
Finally a thread that ,[makes me feel less like the creepy old single uncle at the family reunion.  I am 48 and did, in my opinion, pretty badly on the LSAT-  159 (my lowest practice was 163, highest 168).  I applied to all part time programs in my area (greater NY) and have gotten two scholarship offers so far and accepted at 4 out of 6 (still have not hear from Fordham or St. John's).   Take the advice of the earlier poster and do everything humanly possible to increase your LSAT score, that is the secret to getting Merit aid. 

JJ2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 08:44:19 PM »
Maybe that is the reason that St. Mary's (T4) seems attractive to me: I saw several older students (even some with gray hair!!!) in each of the two classes I sat in on.

that was a big thing for me as well.  I'm 35, and the admissions counselor told me 40% of the law students at St. Mary's are my age or older.

on topic - I had a 160 with a miserable undergrad GPA, and I got a partial scholarship.  I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least.  ;D

duderancher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 05:59:13 PM »
I am 48 years old.  Scored 158 Sept 07, 162 Dec 07.  My GPA was just 3.0 but with alot of wreckage years ago followed by the final two years very strong.  I got about a 90% tuition scholarship at a T3 and some smaller stuff elsewhere.

Scootertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 05:13:41 PM »
Am I too Old, have no fear.....prep as well as you can for the LSAT....I highly recommend a current copy of the Logic Games "Bible"....I'm 47, and I'm not gonna let that stop me from finally pursuing my dream....  (Maybe I'll even get to practice for a few years before they throw my doddering old butt in the home...hehehehehehe...) ;D ;D ;D