Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do Older Students Ever Get Scholarships?  (Read 13035 times)

dutchtowner

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do Older Students Ever Get Scholarships?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
Hey Dutch - Skip the Emory class.  I took it earlier this year before the June test and was not impressed.  The instructor has some really annoying mannerisms and his notebook is full of typos.  I won't say that I wasted the $400, but I could have invested it in a much better way.  If I take another class, it will definitely be the full-length PowerScore course (http://shopping.powerscore.com/product_detail.cfm?pid=908).  I didn't work through the PowerScore bibles before the June exam and I have learned so much from them (contrary to what the LSAC guy said during the Atlanta forum, there are "trick" questions on the test and PowerScore points them out).  If anything, the bibles are worth investing in and David Killoran (founder of PowerScore and author of the bibles) has been great about answering my email questions.

Thanks for the tip catmommy!  Glad I checked back here before I decided, was about to register online for that class, but will reconsider based on what you said.  I emailed the fella that teaches that course and he was a little defensive in answering my questions about it which really surprised me given the emphasis these days on critical thinking in academia. 

You don't think the Emory class helped your score any?

Have you heard anything about the Gwinnett class taught by UGA? 

I've got a couple of those Powerscore bibles on watch on E-bay!  I may just go ahead and order one for sure.

Thanks again!
Dutchtowner

catmommy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »
Hi Dutch - The Emory instructor's defensiveness is a huge red flag (IMHO).  While his course may have helped me somewhat (I got a 154 the first time I took the test - in June), I feel that my money would have been better spent on a PowerScore course.  And no, I don't know anything about the Gwinnett course.  CM

dutchtowner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 07:07:36 AM »
Hi Dutch - The Emory instructor's defensiveness is a huge red flag (IMHO).  While his course may have helped me somewhat (I got a 154 the first time I took the test - in June), I feel that my money would have been better spent on a PowerScore course.  And no, I don't know anything about the Gwinnett course.  CM

Hey Thanks CM!

You plan on taking the LSAT again?  If you don't mind me asking, where do you want to go to school?

What was the hardest part of the LSAT to you?

Appreciate it!
Dutch

catmommy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 01:13:26 PM »
Dutch:  I'm taking the LSAT again because I didn't get a score good enough for Georgia State (if I can get in, I'll go part-time at night) or other schools in areas where my husband and I may end up.  We will move West at some point and if it is while I'm still in law school, I don't want there to be any concerns about my LSAT score.

The toughest parts of the exam for me were the logical and analytical (logic games) reasoning sections.  I had not worked through the PowerScore bibles beforehand and I didn't fully comprehend how to work the problems effectively.  Once you take the test I think you'll understand.  Time is critical because those 35 minutes per section go by very quickly.  PowerScore emphasizes time management, which is key to doing well on the LSAT.

CM

dutchtowner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »
Dutch:  I'm taking the LSAT again because I didn't get a score good enough for Georgia State (if I can get in, I'll go part-time at night) or other schools in areas where my husband and I may end up.  We will move West at some point and if it is while I'm still in law school, I don't want there to be any concerns about my LSAT score.

The toughest parts of the exam for me were the logical and analytical (logic games) reasoning sections.  I had not worked through the PowerScore bibles beforehand and I didn't fully comprehend how to work the problems effectively.  Once you take the test I think you'll understand.  Time is critical because those 35 minutes per section go by very quickly.  PowerScore emphasizes time management, which is key to doing well on the LSAT.

CM

Hey CM!

Good luck on the test!  I too have been looking at Ga State along with UGA, Emory, etc.  The BIG advantage to Ga State IMO is I could continue to work and go P/T.  If not I'd have to sell my house and quit work. :(

I'm looking into that Powerscore course, if I can find the beans to pay for it I'm gonna do it and take the December LSAT.  Thanks again for the tip and good luck getting in somewhere.

Dutch