Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas vs Columbia  (Read 1475 times)

eastend

• View Profile
Texas vs Columbia
« on: March 29, 2008, 06:31:44 PM »
I live in Austin.  I have a fiancee and a house here.  I got into UT.  The tuition is in state, they've offered me a nice scholarship, so here I am LONG decided that UT is the school for me....BUT I'm second guessing myself.  I also got into Columbia.  I've not been offered any money, so the debt would be huge, I mean, it's NYC after all.  I've read a lot of stuff on here about going to the best school you can get into, but TX is just so easy.  If I go to Columbia, I have to sell the house, and do the long-distance thing with my honey - again - he just got back from completing his residency in NC.  A new perspective may help.  Thanks.

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Texas vs Columbia
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »
UT if you want to practice in Texas. Columbia for anything else. Fin.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »
   Well, it sounds like you enjoy Texas and wish to remain.  If that's the truth, UT-Austin will provide you every opportunity you could want inside Texas.  Considering the scholarship, going to UT maybe the perfect situation.

Here's one thing to definitely consider; Texas and Columbia, supposedly, have entirely different cultures of academia.  Texas of course has smart students who have done well previously, but the school is also reputed to be laid-back with relatively less average studying than peer schools.  On the other hand, I've heard that CLS is major league intense.  I think its really worth considering which academic culture you prefer more.

Sorry to state the obvious, but this is one of the more difficult "What should I do's".

CLS is not "major league intense"...I, and most of my friends, are quite lazy.  Perhaps I shouldn't say that, but I am.  I don't have to be intense bc I go to CLS.

That said, I agree with (for the most part):
Columbia 3L

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 06:54:25 PM »
   Well, it sounds like you enjoy Texas and wish to remain.  If that's the truth, UT-Austin will provide you every opportunity you could want inside Texas.  Considering the scholarship, going to UT maybe the perfect situation.

Here's one thing to definitely consider; Texas and Columbia, supposedly, have entirely different cultures of academia.  Texas of course has smart students who have done well previously, but the school is also reputed to be laid-back with relatively less average studying than peer schools.  On the other hand, I've heard that CLS is major league intense.  I think its really worth considering which academic culture you prefer more.

Sorry to state the obvious, but this is one of the more difficult "What should I do's".

CLS is not "major league intense"...I, and most of my friends, are quite lazy.  Perhaps I shouldn't say that, but I am.  I don't have to be intense bc I go to CLS.

Bingo. Holds true farther north as well, for the record.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »

Bingo. Holds true farther north as well, for the record.

:-*

how's life dear?  i haven't see you on the antm boards this season...
Columbia 3L

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 07:00:46 PM »
I sort of got a facebook message from Victoria from last season about how was that me posting about her over there? And I was like, yes. It was. And then I was embarrassed. So I've been a little removed from the ANTM boards this cycle. Also because all the girls are busted except Fatima and she's a female dog whose walk sucks, so I've sort of got no horse this go round. I want Tyra to quit and Naomi Campbell to take over, so bad.

Sorry, OP! /threadjack
This sig kills fascists.

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 07:02:48 PM »
I sort of got a facebook message from Victoria from last season about how was that me posting about her over there? And I was like, yes. It was. And then I was embarrassed. So I've been a little removed from the ANTM boards this cycle. Also because all the girls are busted except Fatima and she's a female dog whose walk sucks, so I've sort of got no horse this go round. I want Tyra to quit and Naomi Campbell to take over, so bad.

Sorry, OP! /threadjack

OMG, that would be so amazing!
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 07:06:26 PM »

Sorry, OP! /threadjack

amazing until she gets annoyed at one of the girls and throws her cell phone at them. (hi goalie :-*)

Dash, how did she figure out it was you?  it's not like your real name and posting name is similar?  i don't remember you giving up that much identifying info on the board aside from school.
Columbia 3L

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »

Sorry, OP! /threadjack

amazing until she gets annoyed at one of the girls and throws her cell phone at them. (hi goalie :-*)

Dash, how did she figure out it was you?  it's not like your real name and posting name is similar?  i don't remember you giving up that much identifying info on the board aside from school.

The cell phone throwing would be the best part.

I basically outed myself by being too specific about how I knew her: I said we had a section together and that she was always quiet, sat in the corner, and wore hoodie sweatshirts. I guess there were a limited number of sections where she did that, and, it being a rather small section (and all girls--random), I suppose she was able to narrow it down. Also, she is a smart cookie. She was extremely nice about it. And now she is dating the hottest/nicest guy to ever exist/to ever come across my path in real life. Although he is Canadian. But other than that, perfect.

JUST KIDDING it totally makes him extra perfect.
This sig kills fascists.

fearlesscowboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 08:19:38 PM »
Columbia