Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seton Hall vs. Rutgers - Newark  (Read 1174 times)

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
Seton Hall vs. Rutgers - Newark
« on: March 29, 2008, 02:08:48 PM »
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if y'all could comment on this for me.

I've been offered 20,000 a year renewable (based on a continued 3.2 gpa) at Seton Hall law school which has jumped in the new ratings this year to 66.

I've been offered no money at Rutgers Newark but have heard from many different people that rutgers students place better than seton hall students.  Is there any merit to this claim?

Which would you go to if you were given the above choices?

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seton Hall vs. Rutgers - Newark
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 08:47:01 AM »
bumpppp

could really use all your help!

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 08:51:43 AM »
Hey everyone,

I've been offered 20,000 a year renewable (based on a continued 3.2 gpa) at Seton Hall law school which has jumped in the new ratings this year to 66.

I've been offered no money at Rutgers Newark but have heard from many different people that rutgers students place better than seton hall students.  Is there any merit to this claim?

If you're instate in NJ, the decision seems easy to me.  These schools have very different atmospheres, though.  Have you visited each?  Also 3.2 seems a very high LS GPA, unless SH has serious grade inflation like many of the T14s.

Adam1983

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »
At the ASD at Rutgers I spoke with a few people who were admitted to both Seton Hall and Rutgers (me included) and they had all decided to go to Rutgers over Seton Hall. One of the main reasons I chose Rutgers is the cost of in state tuition but you were offered a scholarship at Seton Hall so you’re in a different situation. I have also heard from various people that Rutgers has a better reputation then Seton Hall but of course this is just opinions. Rutgers is also on a college campus while Seton Hall is 5 floors of an office building so it is a very different environment. What type of law are you interested in?

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 11:10:09 PM »
Hey everyone,

If you're instate in NJ, the decision seems easy to me.  These schools have very different atmospheres, though.  Have you visited each?  Also 3.2 seems a very high LS GPA, unless SH has serious grade inflation like many of the T14s.

Nope, I'm not an instate resident.  I'll actually be coming to law school in the states from sunny canada.  lol.

Penn State is also an option.  One that I'm seriously considering knowing that they're only bound to go up in the rankings.

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 11:13:08 PM »
At the ASD at Rutgers I spoke with a few people who were admitted to both Seton Hall and Rutgers (me included) and they had all decided to go to Rutgers over Seton Hall. One of the main reasons I chose Rutgers is the cost of in state tuition but you were offered a scholarship at Seton Hall so you’re in a different situation. I have also heard from various people that Rutgers has a better reputation then Seton Hall but of course this is just opinions. Rutgers is also on a college campus while Seton Hall is 5 floors of an office building so it is a very different environment. What type of law are you interested in?

I would like to get into corporate law.  As it stands right now, my dream job would be to land a job as an in house consultant at a large company.  I realize they don't usually hire directly from law school but it's where I'd like to end up.  Realistically I'd be aiming for a midsize firm straight out of law schoool (50+ lawyers).  If i land biglaw, great.  but in case I don't, i just don't want to be jobless and in crazy debt

That's another reason why I'm considering goin to Penn State.  Their law program is new but their business program is very strong and so there would be a lot of connections there.