Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bizarro waitlist at Rutgers-Camden  (Read 1349 times)

tiki

• View Profile
Bizarro waitlist at Rutgers-Camden
« on: March 29, 2008, 01:23:51 PM »
Is there any explanation for this?

I was complete in November, with a 165 and 3.4 from an ivy league school, only to receive a letter at the end of February stating: "Based on your personal statement and outstanding academic accomplishments the Committee has designated you as a student who we have a high interest in admitting to the full-time fall class and nominating for available scholarship monies."  The letter then invited me to their admitted students open house in April, and indicated that they would have all of their decisions made by then.  In response, I emailed them saying I would attend the open house.

Last week, I still hadn't heard from them, so I sent them another email reiterating my interest in Rutgers and asking if they could anticipate when a decision would be made on my application.  They never acknowledged receiving my email.  Instead, eight days later they sent me a letter wait-listing me!  The language is similar to the original letter, but now with a different spin: "The Committee has designated you as an individual we would like to admit should space become available.  You therefore have been placed on a Wait List."

So, what happened between the end of February and the end of March that dropped me from scholarship consideration to not even getting a spot?

It looks a little funny on law school numbers (I'm teeks): http://lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&cycle=5&school_code=2092&sort=index_number&order=d&application_type=0

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarro waitlist at Rutgers-Camden
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:32:52 PM »
Very very weird.  You are the  only person with a LSAT higher than 159!! to be waitlisted.  I actually applied in Jan and I've heard nothing (I have a 159).

tiki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:58:16 PM »
I know, right?

Hopefully you'll hear from them soon.  They seem to be having problems getting their decisions out in a timely manner.

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »
The real question is: why the hell did you apply only to those schools with your numbers?

tiki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 07:42:54 PM »
The real question is: why the hell did you apply only to those schools with your numbers?

I want to practice law in Philly, and since I didn't have a shot at the t14 (where it would be worth it to take out the $40k+ in loans), it made the most sense just to apply to the Philly regional schools.  I'm happy paying $8k a year at Temple even though I probably could have gotten in to a better ranked school.

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 09:10:50 PM »
I have a theory. It's not based on much, but it might be true.

The schools get to see where else you applied.  Possibly they sent you the letter about the scholarship based solely on your numbers.  Then, after realizing that they were potentially your best option, waitlisted you in order to then accept you with little/no scholarship.

I hope it's not true.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 09:20:52 PM »

I want to practice law in Philly, and since I didn't have a shot at the t14 (where it would be worth it to take out the $40k+ in loans), it made the most sense just to apply to the Philly regional schools.  I'm happy paying $8k a year at Temple even though I probably could have gotten in to a better ranked school.

You know UMaryland places better in Philly than Temple?

You probably would have been able to get a scholarship + instate.

tiki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 10:13:02 PM »

You know UMaryland places better in Philly than Temple?

You probably would have been able to get a scholarship + instate.

Are you sure about that?  Morgan Lewis has 40 attorneys from Temple Law and none from Maryland Law.  Dechert has 63 from Temple and none from Maryland.  Pepper Hamilton has 31 from Temple and none from Maryland.  Also, if you do a Martindale search, you'll find only 34 lawyers from UMaryland in Philadelphia, versus 2512 from Temple.

tiki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 10:14:47 PM »
I have a theory. It's not based on much, but it might be true.

The schools get to see where else you applied.  Possibly they sent you the letter about the scholarship based solely on your numbers.  Then, after realizing that they were potentially your best option, waitlisted you in order to then accept you with little/no scholarship.

I hope it's not true.

That would be really sad if it's true, although I suppose it's possible.   :'(

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 02:12:24 PM »
I have a 158/3.84 and I was waitlisted... if that matters to anyone...
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU