Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dilemma: Closeby T4 or 100-Mile Away T1?  (Read 5018 times)

Texas

• View Profile
Dilemma: Closeby T4 or 100-Mile Away T1?
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »
I initially posted this under "Where to Go" but got a very vulgar response. I am hoping for a more civilized atmosphere here among us adults.

I cannot decide whether to attend UT Austin (T1) or St. Mary's in San Antonio (T4). I scored over 170 on the LSAT and attended a top-ranked college. The cost of attendance at St. Mary's would be $10,000/year less, and St. Mary's is close enough to my home to commute every day. UT is 100 miles from my house, so I would probably sleep at least a couple of nights a week in Austin. My husband and children would probably miss me. I plan to look for work in the San Antonio area, not the Austin area, so maybe I could make good contacts at St. Mary's. I am not looking for an 80 hour/week top corporate job.

Would I be making an awful mistake if I attend St. Mary's? Do any of you know anything about St. Mary's? Thanks for any advice.

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma: Closeby T4 or 100-Mile Away T1?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:18:26 PM »
For the sake of your future and the future of your family, go to UT.
UVA Law Class of 2011

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 05:41:55 PM »
Please, please I beg you go to University of Texas.  The reasons why are too many to mention but just I beg you for your sake go to University of Texas.  Hook em Horns

Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 05:57:28 PM »
Well, thank you all for your advice. I guess I just have been taking care of my family for so long that it is hard for me to break the habit. It has been a really long time since I did much of anything for ME. Of, course, once I start working, it will benefit my family if I have a degree from UT. Right now I am a public school teacher in the small district where my children attend school, and before that I was a homemaker for many years. I'll appreciate any more comments any of you have. Thanks!

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »
What do you want to do with your degree?
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »
I agree with the comments so far.  You're not talking about a minor difference in quality of education here; it's a HUGE difference.  And the difference of $10K/year is really not much at all.  I understand your family-related concerns, but the opportunities you'll have coming out of UT will be much better (and more lucrative), no matter what type of law you're interested in.  Good luck with your decision!
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 06:37:17 PM »
I do not know what type of law I will practice, nor what employment situation I will have. I enjoy making my own decisions and am very organized, so I can see myself working solo. On the other hand, I would probably learn a lot if I worked for the government or in a small firm for a couple of years.

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 06:41:21 PM »
As the only person on this board who has practiced law in San Antonio, here's my two cents. Go to St. Mary's only if it's free and you never want to leave San Antonio; and  go to UT anyway. There are a fair amount of people in your situation, I met several attys that only applied to StM and UT because they refused to leave San Antonio. Some chose StM, some UT: my advice is to choose UT. You will find you have a lot of potential car-poolers and apt sharers for Austin. Good luck.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 06:45:24 PM »
What do you want to do with your degree?

What she wants to do with her degree is more relevant to how hard she should work once she's chosen a school.  Even if she just wants the degree to sit on her wall or to make her eligible for a promotion or something, UT is the choice.  A grad degree from Austin has an aura if you live in Texas.

It was a trick question. Whatever she said, I would've said UT. You know why, though? Because UT is the right answer here. See: just some guy's post.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 06:48:23 PM »
My $0.02:

You wouldn't be making that horrible of a mistake staying in San Antonio, given what your situation is and your stated career goals. That being said, it would still make your future legal career much easier if you attend UT. I understand that will put a cramp in your family life and living situation for 3 years, but I think the benefits will outweigh that in the long run.