Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going to a law school where you're the only one of your ethnicity...  (Read 3038 times)

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I got into UHouston where according to the ABA site there are no students of my ethnicity (Puerto Rican). Part of me says, I'll feel completely isolated without any type of student associations or just general students there like me. On the other hand, it would be an amazing trailblazing opportunity and a completely different environment for me. Should this factor into my decision of which school to attend at all? Thoughts?
To whom much is given, much is expected.

oh noez

• View Profile
Re: Going to a law school where you're the only one of your ethnicity...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:48:34 AM »
If it's important to you, then yeah.. it should factor into your decision. I would visit the school and see what the atmosphere is like.. check out the undergrad demographics as well. Maybe you're the only Puerto Rican at the law school, but the rest of the campus is diverse (here's what I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Houston#Demographics.. although I'm not sure if you could trust wikipedia on this  :)). If you're seriously concerned though, I would just go visit because that will give you the most accurate picture of what it's like. If you like everything else about the school, just frame the situation in the most positive way possible and look at it as a challenge. Also, you don't have the demographics for THIS year, so maybe there some other Puerto Ricans that will join you as a 1L. Who knows.Good luck, I hope it all works out for you!

familyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 09:11:39 AM »
There were a few very high profile cases of racists activity in Idaho years ago and unfortunately it has forever branded the state as racist. In fact, you will find that Idaho is now very much non-racist, but the perception lives on. Boise is a large metro area now with a growing Hispanic population and many California transplants, and even areas like Coer d' Elane (sp?) are no longer Aryan Nation training grounds, but rather second home communities for rich Californians. Of course, I see that you are actually Hispanic and live there, so I will defer to you to tell us how it really is, at least in Pocatello! As far as where to go to school, I have to think that you would find cultural connections in the Houston area, even at the law school. And if you are in fact the only one, then perhaps you will get more money thrown your way, and have more opportunities from companies looking for diverse candidates.

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 02:57:16 PM »
demo's were definitely a factor in my decision of where to go to LS.  I know I can never escape racism completely, but in my experience, the more minorities there are, the less chance you will encounter face to face racism.

I'm the only white guy in a neighborhood, and city for the most part, in Florida full of latinos/latinas, and we get along ;)

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
I totally understand where you are coming from. I ended up deciding to go to a school where there is only 1 other Mexican-American.  This doesn't bother me what so ever, if anything I feel that it will be an advantage.  But that ultimately depends on you. I think that people's suggestions to check out the school are the best thing you can do.  I went to see UB and realized that my race would not be an issue.
Class of 2011

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
Iím going to Faulkner University in Montgomery, Alabama, the cradle of the Confederacy.  Iím Chinese and the law school has no Asian males according to the 2008 ABA-LSAC Law School Guide (they do have 7 Asian females).  Naturally, I was nervous about the demographics of the school and city, especially since I would be moving down to Montgomery with my girlfriend who is white.  I just did not know how receptive the people down there would be to a Chinese-white interracial couple.  After I went down to visit the school and city however, my fears were relatively calmed.  The people there were very friendly, regardless of where I was.  I couldíve been in an upscale area in the city or I couldíve been in a blue-collar area.  People there were friendly.  The law school staff and students were also very friendly.  I guess itís the southern hospitality.  Iím sure racism occurs in Montgomery, probably a little more than your average city, but I am satisfied and I can live with it.  Itís not as bad as I thought.  Iím glad my fears were proven to be unwarranted.