Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMICH vs. UVA  (Read 3603 times)

dmbrules

• View Profile
    • Email
UMICH vs. UVA
« on: March 28, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »
Any thoughts on prestige, career prospects, and head to head in cities like NY, DC and Boston.

Thanks.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UMICH vs. UVA
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:12:46 PM »
Though I have a WL coming Monday from UVA, I'm interested in the discussion...tag
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

gjrmf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:56:25 PM »
the age old discussion, and everything below is hearsay/summary of what i've heard on various threads

1) there's prescreening at OCI, and it's really how you look at it, really. it screws the middle-lowers with awesome interviewing skills by taking away opportunities to even interview at the top top firms, but unless your interviewing skills are such that it overshadows your GPA, apparentlyprescreening helps because, uh. you don't waste your time. apparently.

2) atmosphere is totally different. UVA is the more fresh out of college crowd. Mich is not. UVA is more southern fratboy. UMich is not. There's D1 sports at UM, and UVA only has, uh, yeah, they're D1 but not a very good D1.

3) Mich has the old school prestige. I don't know how much this carries. This is probably my biggest point of contention, too. It ranks among the traditional elite. UVA has good rep too, but not Mich level. At the same time, UMich seems to be on an ever so slight decline. UVA on the other hand, gained financial independence from state funding very recently, and no longer is tied to taking an instate quota that inevitably negatively affects GPA/LSAT stats. The new president has professed his dedication to bringing UVA into the top 5, though I do not know how likely that will be without gaming the rankings hard. But then again, since UVA is a very congenial school, I suspect that even if they do, they won't get shat on as bad as Penn or NU does.

4) UVA places very well in NYC. Mich places very well nationally. But I think the regional thing is really self selection. At either school, you won't have a problem.

5) Michigan has really nice people. UVA does too, but michigan has really, really, nice people, the administration and student body and all.

6) Ann Arbor is probably one of the sweetest places to spend three years of your mid-late 20s.

again, all of this is hearsay, none are my opinions.
3.1/170 at a T10. Have faith.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:57:56 PM »
Flip a coin.

If you're a minority, I say go to Mich. Otherwise, same school basically. Ann Arbor is cold.
YLS c/o 2009

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:20:02 PM »
the age old discussion, and everything below is hearsay/summary of what i've heard on various threads

1) there's prescreening at OCI, and it's really how you look at it, really. it screws the middle-lowers with awesome interviewing skills by taking away opportunities to even interview at the top top firms, but unless your interviewing skills are such that it overshadows your GPA, apparentlyprescreening helps because, uh. you don't waste your time. apparently.

2) atmosphere is totally different. UVA is the more fresh out of college crowd. Mich is not. UVA is more southern fratboy. UMich is not. There's D1 sports at UM, and UVA only has, uh, yeah, they're D1 but not a very good D1.

3) Mich has the old school prestige. I don't know how much this carries. This is probably my biggest point of contention, too. It ranks among the traditional elite. UVA has good rep too, but not Mich level. At the same time, UMich seems to be on an ever so slight decline. UVA on the other hand, gained financial independence from state funding very recently, and no longer is tied to taking an instate quota that inevitably negatively affects GPA/LSAT stats. The new president has professed his dedication to bringing UVA into the top 5, though I do not know how likely that will be without gaming the rankings hard. But then again, since UVA is a very congenial school, I suspect that even if they do, they won't get shat on as bad as Penn or NU does.

4) UVA places very well in NYC. Mich places very well nationally. But I think the regional thing is really self selection. At either school, you won't have a problem.

5) Michigan has really nice people. UVA does too, but michigan has really, really, nice people, the administration and student body and all.

6) Ann Arbor is probably one of the sweetest places to spend three years of your mid-late 20s.

again, all of this is hearsay, none are my opinions.

holy UMich troll...

i think this is the credited response:

Flip a coin.

In other words. They are VERY similar schools when it comes to quality/job prospects. You will be just fine at either one. Go visit both and decide which you like better. Also, Ann Arbor is dang cold.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 09:56:07 PM »
What's the estimated cost of attendance for this year at Michigan? I can't find anything on their web site, save for the tuition per semester for 2007-2008. Any admits care to help *bats eyes* ?
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

ThorMan

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 11:52:03 PM »
Bobby Lee or Ulysses Grant?

Answer this and you will answer your originial query.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 11:59:52 PM »
What's the estimated cost of attendance for this year at Michigan? I can't find anything on their web site, save for the tuition per semester for 2007-2008. Any admits care to help *bats eyes* ?

Fall-Winter

http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudents/financialaid/Documents/budget.pdf

Summer-Fall-Winter

http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudents/financialaid/Documents/sbudget.pdf

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 01:11:48 AM »
Thanks Ender.

In other news...I've been bypassed for the third time as the third batch of WL went out by email yesterday. I also sent a LOCI two days ago, so maybe that's why I was bypassed again...I can only hope!
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

gjrmf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 02:56:50 AM »

holy UMich troll...

doubtful. i don't think there's any unreasonable praise for michigan save "really nice people". if i had a UVA acceptance, i'd almost accept it in a heart beat over Mich, at this point.

i think this is the credited response:

Flip a coin.

In other words. They are VERY similar schools when it comes to quality/job prospects. You will be just fine at either one. Go visit both and decide which you like better. Also, Ann Arbor is dang cold.

quiality and job prospect wise, very similar. in terms of fit, v. v. different.
3.1/170 at a T10. Have faith.