Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Mercer that BAD?  (Read 822 times)

onechu82

• View Profile
Is Mercer that BAD?
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »
In every discussion board I looked at, there is nothing but negative about Mercer Law.  Unfortunately, as of now, I am only accepted at Mercer Law.  Waiting for next year's cycle is out of question due to personal reasons.

How's the chance to transfer out of Mercer Law? I have a guaranteed transfer offer from Case Western if I'm placed top 3rd in 1L.  Do I need to be top 10% to transfer to schools like UGA or Emory?  Also, how competitive is Mercer Law?

With 6 more schools to go, I hope I get into a better school....

OperaLaw

• View Profile
Re: Is Mercer that BAD?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:51:58 AM »
In every discussion board I looked at, there is nothing but negative about Mercer Law.  Unfortunately, as of now, I am only accepted at Mercer Law.  Waiting for next year's cycle is out of question due to personal reasons.

How's the chance to transfer out of Mercer Law? I have a guaranteed transfer offer from Case Western if I'm placed top 3rd in 1L.  Do I need to be top 10% to transfer to schools like UGA or Emory?  Also, how competitive is Mercer Law?

With 6 more schools to go, I hope I get into a better school....

Mercer.. is that 4th Tier?

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 07:14:31 AM »
I don't know if Mercer is "that BAD" but is #4 in the Atlanta market behind Emory, UGA and Georgia State. Firms like GA State here. While Atlanta is large city, I'm not sure if it's a 5 law school market (including John Marshall).

I would imagine that you would need to be AT LEAST in the top 10% to transfer to Emory or UGA, or even GA State. This is hard to do. Even if you are "smarter" and "know the law" better than everyone else in your class, it doesn't guarantee you a position in the top 10%. Law school is weird like that.

VBVAZRockz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »
I don't know if Mercer is "that BAD" but is #4 in the Atlanta market behind Emory, UGA and Georgia State. Firms like GA State here. While Atlanta is large city, I'm not sure if it's a 5 law school market (including John Marshall).

I would imagine that you would need to be AT LEAST in the top 10% to transfer to Emory or UGA, or even GA State. This is hard to do. Even if you are "smarter" and "know the law" better than everyone else in your class, it doesn't guarantee you a position in the top 10%. Law school is weird like that.

Keep in mind transferring is EXTREMELY difficult.
YLS'11

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 10:17:51 AM »
Have you visited? I spoke with 1L's, 2L's, and 3L's a pretty good bit. I think about 2 of them were satisfied with employment prospects. Many (and I do mean many) were very unhappy. Even the career services office admitted that they may not be able to get you employment in a law-related field, but they would find you employment somewhere, even if it isn't in a law job.  :o I definitely would not count on being ranked in the top anything there. And I don't see transferring to a school like Emory from Mercer. Mercer is extremely expensive. I say visit and spend a lot of time thinking about it before your decide to attend and sink that much money into a degree that may not even get you a job. If you must, go ahead and send in that deposit (due 2 weeks before every other law school I've been accepted at  >:() and then spend as much time at the school as you possibly can. Of course, it might be a bit late now and you might have difficulty getting some of them to talk to you since it's late in the semester.

maxter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 01:39:22 PM »
Wow!! Man, this is a tough one. Putting yourself in that much debt for a school that can not even guarantee you a job in the legal field. Personally I would not go there but that is because of my situation, I do not have parents or family with any means to help me at all, I have to get a job after law school. If your situation is similar I would really think about getting into such debt. Why can't you re-take the lsat and wait a year??

onechu82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »
I know nothing is a guarantee at any law school, but I have a transfer offer to Case if I place in top third.  I'll be studying extremely hard to be in top third if I end up going to Mercer.

That being said, I'm a horrible standardized test taker.  I took Testmasters and during their proctored tests, I was getting mid-160s.  On the real test, I got mid-150s.  This is a retake score.  I could try re-taking it again, but with my history with standardized tests, I doubt I'll improve significantly.

My only hope is to get into one of 6 schools I have yet to hear from.  Otherwise, I would have to work extremely hard, and pray for some luck, so I can place at least in top third.

So, I am assuming no one here is going to Mercer?