Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chapman Tier 3 - Will this affect the waitlist?  (Read 4475 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chapman Tier 3 - Will this affect the waitlist?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 05:21:33 AM »
I was admitted yesterday. Was on the waitlist since early January. However, I am part time as well, but I emailed with the admissions advisor, and she said that (with Dean's approval) you could switch to full time after the first year.

Is there any chance I will get some money from Chapman? Supposedly I will receive info in regards to any scholarships some time soon. I already accepted Western State with 20K and the whole perks of getting special lunches with the dean and everything as well as full time, so I am in somewhat of a pickle...

Any suggestions?

Take Chapman. I'm not real big on the school (I did apply thanks to a fee waiver though), but it beats the hell out of Western State.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

magic615

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »
I was admitted yesterday. Was on the waitlist since early January. However, I am part time as well, but I emailed with the admissions advisor, and she said that (with Dean's approval) you could switch to full time after the first year.

Is there any chance I will get some money from Chapman? Supposedly I will receive info in regards to any scholarships some time soon. I already accepted Western State with 20K and the whole perks of getting special lunches with the dean and everything as well as full time, so I am in somewhat of a pickle...

Any suggestions?

Miri,

You said you were accepted into the part-time program at Chapman, how did you receive notification?  Also, on you "check status page" on Chapman Law website what does your status say?  Just curious, trying to figure out if I was accepted or not.

Thanks!!

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 02:18:36 PM »
I grew up in the OC, and it is a beautiful place to live. My kid sister went to Chapman for Undergrad. She didn't have much of a positive experience there, something about the OC shallow rich kids..lol...It is located close to the airport, the campus is quite small, and it is about 10minutes drive from the beach. It doesn't have a national reputation, neither for its undergrad or graduate programs. People who go to Chapman tend to stay and work in OC. There are a lot of tier 3-4 schools in California, and also some really good T1-T2, Stanford, Boalt, UCLA, Davis, Hastings, they would all be your future competition.

If Chapman doesnt give u money, I would go to Western. Chapman and western in Southern California are viewed about the same anyway.

I would be happy that you have at least an option to go to Law School :)
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

Miri

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »

[/quote]
Miri,

You said you were accepted into the part-time program at Chapman, how did you receive notification?  Also, on you "check status page" on Chapman Law website what does your status say?  Just curious, trying to figure out if I was accepted or not.

Thanks!!
[/quote]

Status Checker changed to "Decision rendered", and I received a big envelope via snail mail.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 08:37:59 PM »
I grew up in the OC, and it is a beautiful place to live. My kid sister went to Chapman for Undergrad. She didn't have much of a positive experience there, something about the OC shallow rich kids..lol...It is located close to the airport, the campus is quite small, and it is about 10minutes drive from the beach. It doesn't have a national reputation, neither for its undergrad or graduate programs. People who go to Chapman tend to stay and work in OC. There are a lot of tier 3-4 schools in California, and also some really good T1-T2, Stanford, Boalt, UCLA, Davis, Hastings, they would all be your future competition.

If Chapman doesnt give u money, I would go to Western. Chapman and western in Southern California are viewed about the same anyway.

I would be happy that you have at least an option to go to Law School :)

They might be viewed the same in So Cal, but make no mistake about the fact that Chapman graduates outperform Western State graduates by a factor of almost three on the bar exam (61% pass v. 26% pass in the most recent LSAC numbers, with both schools having about 150 people sit for the bar). They're both below the California average of 65%, but Western State is dog *&^% bad when it comes to the bar.

Take Chapman for the bar passage if nothing else.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.