Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In-State Tuition  (Read 229 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In-State Tuition
« on: March 28, 2008, 11:47:43 AM »
I'm in the mood to argue, so hopefully someone will have a friendly discussion with me.

I propose that there be an out-of-state waiver available for law school.
I only have one public law school in my state, and I was rejected, so now I believe I should get in-state tuition, or a tuition credit to go to law school in another state.

If that didn't work, then I think my home state should give me subsidized loans in addition the the federal loans I already qualify for.

Your thoughts?

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In-State Tuition
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »
I'm in the mood to argue, so hopefully someone will have a friendly discussion with me.
Yay.

I propose that there be an out-of-state waiver available for law school.
I only have one public law school in my state, and I was rejected, so now I believe I should get in-state tuition, or a tuition credit to go to law school in another state.
Well, a lot of schools already help you gain in-state status after your first year.  But the idea of in-state tuition is twofold: first and less importantly, they're serving their taxpayers, of which you are not one.  Second, they're trying to subsidize lawyers who will stay in-state.  So I can see them requiring you to sign some kind of pledge to work in-state for a given number of years afterwards in exchange for a tuition break.  It would probably not be worth it on your end, though.

If that didn't work, then I think my home state should give me subsidized loans in addition the the federal loans I already qualify for.
Actually this makes sense, since you are a taxpayer there and their school rejected you, but you are qualified for admission somewhere.  Presumably, this will be contingent on you passing the bar, otherwise the subsidies get yanked.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In-State Tuition
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 01:13:37 PM »
Basically I'm pissed because my home-state school rejected me, and the School I'm planning on attending raised their tuition by 5k a year.
So now I'm stuck between going to an expensive out of state T2 school or going to a T3 on scholarship.

I've paid a lot of taxes in my home state and my parents will continute to pay, and now the only school in my state has rejected me.
Why should a student who gets accepted in-state get the benefit?  We're not talking about a scholarship.   I want to further my education and then return back to this state to work, so my state should encourage that.

*Addition*
I think The state of Utah should give me the 15k per year subsidy that they give in-state students after I come home, pass the bar, and get a job.
They could put the money directly on my loans, or I could use the subsidy for a down payment on a house, proving my loyalty.