Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT Dischord Must Quit Smoking Before 1L  (Read 6569 times)

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
ITT Dischord Must Quit Smoking Before 1L
« on: March 28, 2008, 09:51:49 AM »
At least I can f-ing think.

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
Re: ITT Dischord Must Quit Smoking Before 1L
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »
I've always found that a permanent change of behavior requires a slight change in identity--"I don't smoke anymore. I am not a smoker. Smoker is not something that I do."

So, get to it.  ;)
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:06:49 AM »
And without taking Chantix.

I know some of y'all have done this before . . . Help?!

My SO is quitting, and doing pretty well.

His strategy was instead of cold turkey off the bat, he stopped BUYING cigarettes. He only allowed himself one if a friend pulled out a pack while they were hanging out. (Note: He didn't tell anyone his strategy)

This slowed him down to a 3-5 a week. Now I think its been about 2.5 weeks since he's had one.
Vandy 1L... really?

Navlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - merspice18
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:14:16 AM »
The strategy that UFBold's SO used is a good one. Thats what I did and then just stopped all together. I haven't smoked in over a year. It also helps when you are not around smokers and people aren't smoking in bars.
Quote from: IrrX
Hey, you don't want to push me in Nav's direction. That wonderful hair color and a uniform to boot, are you kidding me? :D
Quote from: mbw
Uh oh.  You'd better be careful - do you really want Nav mad at you?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »
TM and UF -- how, uh, serious were your (or your SO's) habits?

Change of identity is a good one, which is why I was thinking of having this coincide with moving and starting LS.

I'm not sure... I will ask him. I know I saw him smoke a couple a day, but I know that wasn't the full extent of it.
Vandy 1L... really?

tkm.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 11:46:53 AM »
I've never smoked either

stricly bricly

• Sr. Citizen
  • berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 01:56:20 PM »
best of luck, dischord.  i, too, tried quitting earlier this year, smoking my last cigarette on NYE and going cold turkey after that.  i was never a pack-a-day type but it was starting to get out of hand.  for those first couple of weeks i just kept reminding myself of how much better i smelled.   ::)

anyway, i started again when some serious business went down in my life, but now i only smoke maybe a dozen per week.  that's not gonna kill me that fast, is it?  admittedly it means i smell like crap a dozen times per week.

stricly bricly

• Sr. Citizen
  • berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 02:13:01 PM »

God, how do you even smoke in California?  The first time I went to CA I wandered around for half an hour trying to find somewhere to smoke after I got off the plane.  Then I was like, I'm never coming back here.

haha.  yea, it's great how we have whole cities that have banned smoking everywhere except your private property (@#!* you too, Calabasas).  LAX isn't a good place to be a smoker either.

i know of a few dive bars where you can still light up inside though, which is very special indeed.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 02:18:01 PM »
<bad influence>

Forget it.  I haven't smoked in over 5 years, and even I am thinking of taking it up again.  Wait until after law school.  You'll need it to deal with the stress.

</bad influence>
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.