Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admitted Students Weekends Public Service Announcement  (Read 8683 times)

ohhayitskk

• Sr. Citizen
  • please don't stop the music
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Admitted Students Weekends Public Service Announcement
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 11:04:37 PM »
yeesh, okay, i won't bring her. but she is coming to happy hour afterwards. that i don't give a crap about...yah!
bc eleven.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 11:10:48 PM »
As a law student who is helping out at Admitted Students Weekends, I'd like to beg you to not be a tool.  Just be yourself.  (And if "just being yourself" means being a tool, then for the love of God please pretend to be someone else.)  I met one guy last night that made me want to email the admissions office and tell them that he sucks as a person.  So here are a few tips.  They should be obvious, but unfortunately they aren't to some people.

I agree 100% with all of your tips...

Here's another:

If you are sitting in on a class or participating in a mock class, don't try and show off what you *think* you know.  It won't be in your interest to establish yourself as a gunner feminine hygiene product during ASW.
Columbia 3L

Law Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 11:13:25 PM »
i wish the people at my ASW read this before today.  "oh i'm here because of a full ride..." eat *&^% female dog.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 11:15:10 PM »
yeesh, okay, i won't bring her. but she is coming to happy hour afterwards. that i don't give a crap about...yah!
Happy hour is made for friends. That's what makes it happy. or maybe it's the booze and not being at work.

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 11:16:08 PM »
Happy hour is made for friends. That's what makes it happy. or maybe it's the booze and not being at work.

TITCR

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 12:13:35 AM »
I don't think going to ASW is critical, but if you are considering a school you should make an effort to tour the school and the city at some point before committing. I didn't attend ASW's at any of the schools I was admitted to due to scheduling conflicts. But I made sure to tour the schools at my convenience before plunking down the seat deposits. Those tours confirmed my feelings toward those schools and certainly helped me to make my decision.
Vanderbilt 2010

newtothis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 02:42:54 AM »
I disagree with the advice about bringing guests.  If you really value the opinion or company of your significant other or family, then bring them.  If you are so insecure about what people may or may not think about you just for having a guest come along, then YOU have some serious growing up to do.  "Adults" don't gather in little circles to point fingers and giggle at someone for something so petty.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=newtothis
Updated with $$ offers
Stats are now unfudged

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 05:23:16 PM »
Do most people dress up really nicely? 

I know there are other threads about this that basically recommended business casual, but I am a) a girl, so that doesn't have as restrictive a meaning as it does for guys, and b) I just am not very dressy . . . so I was just wondering what you saw people wearing.

For GW they actually ask for business casual for the preview event for part-time students, but the FT event is totally casual.  Can't go wrong with jeans.

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 05:34:45 PM »
Well that seems odd to have the PT-ers dress up MORE.  But jeans was what I wanted to know. :)

I know, but they've got some lame reasoning that many people are coming from work, so everybody has to dress nicely... I only find it stupid because as a tour guide they are also making me dress nicely, but I have to wear a GW polo that is like, beyond huge and looks absolutely stupid with everything I own.  I wonder what person wasn't thinking when they ordered barely any small size polos?  Medium fits like XXL. :(

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 05:44:05 PM »
Believe me, I feel you.  I'm 5'2 and 100lbs.  I always have that problem, and even when they DO order small sizes they're still gigantic on me . . .

I only volunteered to get a t-shirt like the ones they had last year (and, uh, of course because I love you OLs!), and just my luck they decide to class it up with an ugly polo that I will never wear!  They fit alright on guys, but... I'm not a small girl, so they fact that a medium makes me look like a child playing dress-up is a little laughable.  Anyone going to the GW Preview day/evening, don't make fun of us! :)