Law School Discussion

Admitted Students Weekends Public Service Announcement

Admitted Students Weekends Public Service Announcement
« on: March 28, 2008, 05:42:53 AM »
As a law student who is helping out at Admitted Students Weekends, I'd like to beg you to not be a tool.  Just be yourself.  (And if "just being yourself" means being a tool, then for the love of God please pretend to be someone else.)  I met one guy last night that made me want to email the admissions office and tell them that he sucks as a person.  So here are a few tips.  They should be obvious, but unfortunately they aren't to some people.

1. Don't act how you think law students act. 

2. If you have a blackberry, don't pull it out and check it.

3. If you worked in an important-sounding job, it's OK to mention it.  But don't drop names.  (Everyone worked for a congressman, senator, governor or a president.)

4. Don't talk about your GPA or LSAT.  Everyone got in. 

5. If you want to mention other schools you're deciding between for advice, then talk to a current student one-on-one. 

6. Don't mention your scholarship at the ASW school or your scholarships at other schools.  If you need help deciding, ask your mom.  Don't ask the people you may wind up going to school with unless it's anonymously on the internet.  There's just no need for everyone to know your financial business and "I'm paying $30k less than you to go here" is not a great way to make friends.

7. Don't be a tool to the 1L or 2L taking you around.  We decide the executive board positions for the organizations you're interested in, and the 1L and 2L network can be very helpful in the job hunt.  Nobody made us sign up for these things. 

8. Don't visit a school unless you can imagine attending.  If you get there and decide "no way", then go excuse yourself politely and go out to the mall or go home or something.    Don't act like you're doing the school a kindness with your visit, and don't badmouth it to the other students.  It may be their dream school, so you can keep your opinions to yourself there and come talk crap on LSD anonymously after it's over.   

9. Don't get trashed and embarrass yourself.  That's for next fall.  (Seriously, these people are your professional contacts.  Don't get drunk and pass out as an introduction.)

10. And I know this is controversial, but I'm going to say it anyway.  Don't bring your mom.  Don't bring your boyfriend or girlfriend unless they are moving with you.  Even if you don't quite feel like it yet, you're an adult.  Many other students have taken at least 1-3 years off before law school, and have been paying their own bills, filing their own taxes, and making grown-up decisions all by themselves!  Bringing mom prevents you from building connections with your potential classmates and signals that you aren't independent yet.  If you want to bring them on the trip, have your parents go check out the city, the UG campus, or apartments and give you the scouting report while you go to ASW. 

Re: Admitted Students Weekends Public Service Announcement
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:14:43 AM »
Beautiful. And sad for the 0L population that this needed to be posted in the first place.

jack24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:41:04 AM »
Am I missing out on great opportunities by not attending admitted students day?

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »
Do people really act like complete tools at ASDs? I only went to one and everyone seemed pretty normal.

Very credited about bringing your parents. I can't believe how many parents I saw at NYU's ASD last month.

k3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 05:07:52 PM »
i'm bringing my best friend to bc asd next weekend. is this terrible? she lives in the area and we're thinking of living together next year, plus she's genuinely interested to see what i'm up to...i would also like to have her opinion of what goes down. she's not awkward at all and can certainly make herself scarce if need be. she's also adorable and interesting as well, so i imagine she'll wander off and hold her own. thoughts?

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 07:33:28 PM »
i'm bringing my best friend to bc asd next weekend. is this terrible? she lives in the area and we're thinking of living together next year, plus she's genuinely interested to see what i'm up to...i would also like to have her opinion of what goes down. she's not awkward at all and can certainly make herself scarce if need be. she's also adorable and interesting as well, so i imagine she'll wander off and hold her own. thoughts?

Yup, it's terrible.  It's weird. 

Why bring a friend to that weekend?  Her presence may detract from the experience, not only for you but also for other admitted students who'll be there. Does the invitation say "Friends who live in the area with whom you're thinking of living next year and who are genuinely interested in seeing what you're up to are welcome" ?  If it doesn't say that then leave your friend out of it.

I think if you feel the need to bring a friend to a weekend like that then you're lacking in something . . . why can't you be a grown-up and just go to the thing on your own?

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:39:38 PM »
And I think, whether you agree with Pigeon's post or not, it will be a common reaction among your classmates.

If you decide to bring her anyway, knowing that the above opinion is out there may help you  mitigate it through your actions.

gpbne

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:43:49 PM »
At some of the ASW events, the room was literally packed.  People standing against the wall, sitting on the floor, etc. for over an hour because of all the "extras" in the room.  So, if you absolutely insist on bringing a guest, please have the common courtesy to not have them hog a seat in the front row when an actual admitted student who needs that information a little more is shoved in a back corner.

ETA: Also, I spoke to a guy who's wife has gone to a few of the ASWs.  He said they actually prefer for her to just find a place around the school (preferably a high-traffic area, like a lobby or lounge) where she can sit and "read" while also casually observing the current students interact.  They felt it really gave a more accurate depiction of student relations & satisfaction than when the students are trying hard to impress and be friendly.  So that's just an idea of something your SO/parents/friend could do if you do end up bringing them.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:59:19 PM »

I think it's a little weird to bring your friend, but I guess it's ok.  The main thing is that it will hold you back from making friends who are admitted students.  I mean, even if you try to be outgoing, your natural instinct will always be to talk to your friend.  When you go by yourself you naturally strike up conversations with the people around you, and meet a lot more people.  I met a lot of my best friends at the ASD last year, so I think that it's important to go by yourself.  You can hang out with your friend at other times that weekend, or better yet, bring her to whatever bar event they have in conjunction with the ASD (there usually is one somewhere). 

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »
If you're living together 1L, I think your best friend will catch on to what you're up to sans going to ASD. Awkward or not in normal social situations, it's odd for her to be at her friend's law school reception.

Maybe it's just because I'm a few years out of ug and maybe strange circumstances made me do all of my ug visits on my own but I wouldn't dream of bringing someone with me. This is my decision. That sounded judgemental and it's not. Some people want input in the big decisions and some, well, don't.