Law School Discussion

Admitted Students Weekends Public Service Announcement

siski

• View Profile
Re: Admitted Students Weekends Public Service Announcement
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 03:00:14 PM »

WTH? OMG...what was the reaction of the panel and the other admits?

Sheer, mouths-agape, eyes-wide horror. You could have heard a pin drop. The financial aid woman was stunned, like she had been slapped, and then sort of stuttered out something about "if you have specific, personal questions, I will be available after the presentation."

I saw the same mom-and-daughter pair at another ASD the next day, and the mom was doing the same *&^%, but this time about career prospects or something. And the daughter didn't seem phased. I wonder if her mom took the LSAT for her and wrote her PS, too.

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »

Sheer, mouths-agape, eyes-wide horror. You could have heard a pin drop. The financial aid woman was stunned, like she had been slapped, and then sort of stuttered out something about "if you have specific, personal questions, I will be available after the presentation."

I saw the same mom-and-daughter pair at another ASD the next day, and the mom was doing the same *&^%, but this time about career prospects or something. And the daughter didn't seem phased. I wonder if her mom took the LSAT for her and wrote her PS, too.

Whoa.  I hope you stayed away from them at the next ASD.  That is so rude and unprofessional.  If I were the fin aid officer, I'd have no incentive to upgrade her package.  At Mich--I know for sure that D. Z tells admits that perhaps they would be better at another school if the ASW shows that said person is an ass.

That's the perfect example of someone who is too young minded to be going to professional school.  SMH.  (and yes, I realize that most parents don't act like this, but wtf)

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »

I saw the same mom-and-daughter pair at another ASD the next day, and the mom was doing the same poo, but this time about career prospects or something. And the daughter didn't seem phased. I wonder if her mom took the LSAT for her and wrote her PS, too.

I'm willing to play devil's advocate and say that, perhaps, they thought that a frank and straightforward attitude would win over the FinAid officer.  However, it's possible that their approach backfired.

Not in front of a room full of admits...you can be frank and act like you have common sense.  She could have saved that for a one on one chat and still been as blunt as she wanted to be.  There's no excuse for that imo.

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 03:18:26 PM »

I saw the same mom-and-daughter pair at another ASD the next day, and the mom was doing the same poo, but this time about career prospects or something. And the daughter didn't seem phased. I wonder if her mom took the LSAT for her and wrote her PS, too.

I'm willing to play devil's advocate and say that, perhaps, they thought that a frank and straightforward attitude would win over the FinAid officer.  However, it's possible that their approach backfired.

Not in front of a room full of admits...you can be frank and act like you have common sense.  She could have saved that for a one on one chat and still been as blunt as she wanted to be.  There's no excuse for that imo.

Speaking about it in front of a large crowd promotes a sense that this issue might be relevant to more than one or two people.  While I don't think it should be encouraged, someone might think it's reasonable, especially if the other school has a lot of cross-admits.

From the recounted tale, it doesn't seem that the mother was concerned with relevance--had she been, she would have said something to the effect of what should we do when deciding btwn your school and a similar school when there are disparate financial aid offers?  this would have promoted a good discussion about that--and would have been much more helful than hearing a grown woman ranting about her child not getting money.  It makes her look bad because she's just uncouth, and imo, it makes the daughter look bad bc it makes her look like a baby who cannot handle her own affairs.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 03:25:51 PM »
I'd bet a million dollars that if someone called them out on their shenanigans (tactfully or not) that they would've come up with reasoning as to why they were acting completely rationally and respectfully, etc...

It is always shocking to cross paths with people that are so out of touch with reality...

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 03:33:23 PM »
Ok, but we should argue the validity of Matrix terms first.  I argue that the Matrix trilogy is not only top-notch entertainment but it also provides a great moral compass when we want it to.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »
I guess I disagree.

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »
bump. cause it's that time again.

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »
Can I bring my mom?  "We" have some concerns.

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 11:33:04 AM »
I went to one of these the other week and I was one of about 4 people without a guest. I left my husband at home, because he had to work and he wants this decision to be mine. Most people brought spouses or SOs, but a large number (even a few married students) brought their moms. In some cases it was fine. The mothers sort of sat in the back and didn't say much. In others, the moms did all the talking for the students. I know one mom asked about 5 questions in the session with current students.

The one that looked the worst was a kid that barely spoke to anyone but his mom, while she asked all the other admitted students for details on their lives. I think you should take the opportunity to meet people, especially if you're pretty sure you'll be going there the next year. You don't want your mom making your first impression for you.