Law School Discussion

Admitted Students Weekends Public Service Announcement

Re: Admitted Students Weekends Public Service Announcement
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »
If you are so insecure about what people may or may not think about you
"Adults" don't gather in little circles to point fingers and giggle at someone for something so petty.

Presenting a good first impression is ALWAYS important.  As a lawyer, even "petty things" like the shoes you wear, how you style your hair, and whether or not you have on pantyhose matter.  Valuing the "opinion or company" of a sig.other or family isn't a good enough reason.  Like I said, by all means BRING a significant other IF you are married or IF they are moving with you. 

You should get over the "I don't care what people think" and start caring what people think.  It's professional school, not trying to impress the cheerleaders hanging out by their lockers.  You don't need to worry about whether or not you wear glasses or braces, but you do need to worry about whether or not you appear professional.

I have shaggy hair, I always forget to trim my beard, and I generally dress sloppy.  Is this a problem?  Will my peers be critical of someone who doesn't fit the clean-cut image?

Nah, we won't care.  I really think what sticks out at preview is the potential for gunnerism.  You notice the dorks in suits, roll your eyes at the young'uns who brought their parents, and gravitate towards the "normal" people, which are probably the people who didn't obsess over this, lol. 

I will always remember preview weekend for the introduction of the biggest gunner in school.  He managed to gun during orientation-ish panels, and a talk with students about socializing in DC, which is no mean feat.  Don't be a person who raises their hand for so long that you eventually need to use the other hand to hold the tired arm up... that's just wrong. :)

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 04:04:48 PM »
"Adults" don't gather in little circles to point fingers and giggle at someone for something so petty.

Presenting a good first impression is ALWAYS important.  As a lawyer, even "petty things" like the shoes you wear, how you style your hair, and whether or not you have on pantyhose matter.  Valuing the "opinion or company" of a sig.other or family isn't a good enough reason.  Like I said, by all means BRING a significant other IF you are married or IF they are moving with you. 

You should get over the "I don't care what people think" and start caring what people think.  It's professional school, not trying to impress the cheerleaders hanging out by their lockers.  You don't need to worry about whether or not you wear glasses or braces, but you do need to worry about whether or not you appear professional.

I have shaggy hair, I always forget to trim my beard, and I generally dress sloppy.  Is this a problem?  Will my peers be critical of someone who doesn't fit the clean-cut image?

Nah, we won't care.  I really think what sticks out at preview is the potential for gunnerism.  You notice the dorks in suits, roll your eyes at the young'uns who brought their parents, and gravitate towards the "normal" people, who are probably the people who didn't obsess over this, lol. 

I will always remember preview weekend for the introduction of the biggest gunner in school.  He managed to gun during orientation-ish panels, and a talk with students about socializing in DC, which is no mean feat.  Don't be a person who raises their hand for so long that you eventually need to use the other hand to hold the tired arm up... that's just wrong. :)

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 04:09:06 PM »

Nah, we won't care.  I really think what sticks out at preview is the potential for gunnerism.  You notice the dorks in suits, roll your eyes at the young'uns who brought their parents, and gravitate towards the "normal" people, who are probably the people who didn't obsess over this, lol. 

agreed.  i remember this one girl at Mich who spent 15 mins--pushing back the next panel--to discuss her becoming a SCOTUS clerk and about how she wrote this brief for her college con law class etc.  horrible. then there's my fav story about this kid at UVa who's mom asked--during a student panel--how her son was supposed to eat w/o meal plan bc he can't cook.  HORRIBLE. i just kept thinking about how surprised i was that this kid was starting professional school and not college.

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 05:09:41 PM »
Shaggy hair is fine, but around interview time it may have to go...

Not everyone in a suit is a gunner.  I usually sort of pity the guy who didn't get the memo. 

On the topic of shaggy hair: I work with a couple of graduates who passed the most recent bar here, and both have said that their interviews increased immensely in terms of  call-backs, general tone, etc, only after they got haircuts to trim down their shaggy style, for what it's worth!

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 09:33:12 PM »

2. If you have a blackberry, don't pull it out and check it.

lol someone sounds mad...maybe you want one and don't have one  :-\

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »
I agree on the blackberry thing. It's rude. That would be like me coming into your office for an interview and you interrupting the interview every time your phone rang or you heard "You've Got Mail!" coming from your PC.

You've cleared this time to meet with me and talk with me. If anything is that freaking important, a live person will make damn sure, even at an ASW, to find you if you can't be reached by cell or email.

It's disruptive. It's disrespectful. It makes me less inclined to want to work with you if you're so caught up in the minutia that you can't focus on the task before you (in this case: speaking with me).

Checking your Blackberry every 15 seconds when you are engaged in a group task or meeting with a live person doesn't make you a smart multi-tasker. It makes you an ass.

/Nontrad law student. Had a Blackberry. Understands the urge to check.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
Well, I never said it wasn't rude . . . I absolutely think it is, and I really hate my BB.  It's just that the people I work with sort of expect an immediate response to emails, even on weekends and stuff.  I don't have to check it every 5 seconds because I can see the light going on in my purse, but I DO have to read/respond to whatever is new.  This is going to especially awful because the ASD is on a Friday, and I'm taking off work to go . . .

I understand your position, and I didn't mean to insult you. I suggest that you do this: inform your co-workers you'll be out of office and have limited contact access. Then, bring your BB with you. Check it every 30 minutes by excusing yourself and finding a quiet spot to catch up. This seems like a reasonable solution. If there are any legitimate fires that require your attention, you'll still be able to respond quickly. BUT having informed your co-workers that you are out of range (remind them several times!), they will at least make a go of handling things and merely CC'ing you on their progress.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »
This was more or less the plan.  Hopefully it will work.

And I guess if I get fired, I'm going to school anyway.

That's the spirit!!!  ;D

siski

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 02:39:25 PM »
I chose to leave my husband behind to check out the town while I went to my ASW's. I feel like I'm better able to focus on meeting new people without having him along. I told him as much, he happily agreed and said he'd rather go check out used book stores anyway. I vote for bringing no guest to ASWs.

Most ridiculous, sympathetic-blush-inducing moment at one ASW I went to:

A young woman who looked fresh-outta-undergrad was there with her mom, and near the end of the financial aid presentation, the mother raises her hand, gets called on, and then stands up and starts yelling at the financial aid woman about the school not giving her daughter enough scholarship money, and how there's now no competition between this school and another, because the other school gave her daughter a nice scholarship and they're cheaper, too.

The worst part was, the prospective student didn't look embarrassed by her mom at all.

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 02:46:03 PM »
I chose to leave my husband behind to check out the town while I went to my ASW's. I feel like I'm better able to focus on meeting new people without having him along. I told him as much, he happily agreed and said he'd rather go check out used book stores anyway. I vote for bringing no guest to ASWs.

Most ridiculous, sympathetic-blush-inducing moment at one ASW I went to:

A young woman who looked fresh-outta-undergrad was there with her mom, and near the end of the financial aid presentation, the mother raises her hand, gets called on, and then stands up and starts yelling at the financial aid woman about the school not giving her daughter enough scholarship money, and how there's now no competition between this school and another, because the other school gave her daughter a nice scholarship and they're cheaper, too.

The worst part was, the prospective student didn't look embarrassed by her mom at all.

WTH? OMG...what was the reaction of the panel and the other admits?