Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which test prep course is better?  (Read 1637 times)

AshleyNicole

• View Profile
Which test prep course is better?
« on: March 28, 2008, 12:23:44 AM »
I'm going to take the Oct. LSAT and the time has come to start studying!.  I've decided to take a full-length prep course and was about to sign up for The Princeton Review's Hyperlearning course (84 hours).  Now I'm researching Powerscore and TestMasters.  Does anyone have an opinion or can offer advice?  $1100-$1300 is a lot of spend and I just want to make sure I put my money in the right course.  Also, any other test prep materials anyone can recommend would be great...I'm aware of the bibles.  Thanks!

protokurios

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which test prep course is better?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:12:22 AM »
Check the stickied thread with LSAT links galore: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,74733.0.html

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 02:23:23 PM »
Going as far as you can with self-studying and then addressing specific concerns with a private tutor is the way to go, in my opinion.

The consensus on these boards is to stay away from Princeton Review and Kaplan. I have not taken a Princeton Review course so I can not attest to this, maybe someone else can.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

Blondie918

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »
I found that Powerscore was the absolute best for me, I took this course prior to taking the LSAT the second time and raise my score 11 points!

AshleyNicole

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 07:37:27 PM »
Okay, so after doing much research on LSD, I figured PS was the way to go over PR.  Do you think I'd be in good hands doing the full-length course with an add-on of 10 personal tutor hours and self-studying with LSAC previously administered LSAT tests as well as the LRB and LGB?  Or is that too much.  I'm aiming for at least a 168 and though I'm not financially stable by any means, I'm pretty much willing to spend anything as long as it's worth it.  I don't want to overdo it and go crazy, but I definitely don't want to do enough.  I've also pretty much cleared my summer (no job, no classes) to study for this thing! 

What do you think?

LSATstruggle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »
The powerscore bibles are great. The course is awful. The books they give is just a bunch of LSAT problems  broken down by question type. You can do that by yourself. I bought the 10 actual LSATs and labeled all must be true, main point , point at issue.....

The powerscore course does not give explanations for most of the LSAT problems. That is what pissed me off. I paid so much for a course and all i got was the bibles with questions broken down by type. I could of done that myself.

Now powerscore has the 2004 deconstructed . The book is great. But it makes you wonder why they don't deconstruct every problem for their course. Even Kaplan  breaks down every problem for every test 1-54.

Just get the powerscore bibles, logic games set up and deconstruected and get every LSAT.   

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »
This misinformation about courses on this board is sickening.  The fact is nobody has taken enough different courses to say so-and-so's is the best or the worst.  Add in the number of marketing shills, uninformed opinions, and people with a bone to pick, and you get nothing here but noise.  The way to pre-judge a course is to meet with the instructor.  Can he teach you something that will help your score in 15 minutes? 

The consensus on these boards is to stay away from Princeton Review and Kaplan. I have not taken a Princeton Review course so I can not attest to this, maybe someone else can.

Re: TPR. 
I've had a challenge on this board for probably over a year now for someone to find one thing inadequate about The Princeton Review's course.  So far, nobody that I'm aware of has even tried.  If someone thinks TPR should be avoided, please tell us why.  (And yes, I teach for them.)

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:53:49 PM »

I've had a challenge on this board for probably over a year now for someone to find one thing inadequate about The Princeton Review's course.  So far, nobody that I'm aware of has even tried.  If someone thinks TPR should be avoided, please tell us why.  (And yes, I teach for them.)

This thread has some good reviews that seem to be unbiased: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22988
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

The Stranger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 12:06:09 AM »
I am pretty sure that the person who is teaching the course is more important than the company, so you should do some background checks and ask around about the teachers at Testmasters and Powerscore in your area. :)

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 02:32:53 AM »

This thread has some good reviews that seem to be unbiased: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22988

Amazing that the complaints were about individual instructors and not the courses or methods.  Who'da thunk it?

And i love how Jeffort had to pwn the OP.  lol