Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re-Applications  (Read 1125 times)

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re-Applications
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:23:06 PM »
Hello all!

Despite all the information I've gathered about applying to law school the first time around, I know surprisingly little about RE-applying in a different cycle.  I'm currently (although not very seriously, yet) considering postponing law school for a year for a non-deferral-worthy reason, which would likely mean I'd have to re-apply next cycle.

For those who know about the process (i.e. those who've done it, know people who've done it, or otherwise know hard facts about the situation,) I've got a couple of questiosn!

Is an applicant inherently less likely to be accepted to a school to which he or she has applied previously, just because it's a re-application?  Say I got into a school this cycle, chose to postpone for a year, and then re-applied next cycle - do I have the same chance of getting in, or less because I'm some sort of a flight risk?  Along those same lines, would scholarship opportunities be less likely for re-applicants?

If I do re-apply, would I be wise to include a supplementary statement explaining exactly why I chose to wait a year, and making it clear that I've got all of my ducks in a row and I'm unequivocally ready to attend in the fall?

Do I have to have all of my recommenders re-send my recs to the LSAC, or can they hold on to them for a year and re-send to the schools next cycle?  The same question would apply to transcripts, actually!

Sorry for all of the questions - I really have no idea about the RE-application process, and if this would even be a wise idea!  Thanks in advance if you can answer some of my questions!
Vandy Law 2011

poland

• View Profile
Re: Re-Applications
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 12:39:22 PM »
I reapplied and had relatively good luck.  So far I've been accepted to one school which I was waitlisted at last year and have been waitlisted at one of my top choices which I was rejected at last year.  I did however take the LSAT again (but only went up two points so I am not sure how much it mattered). 

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:48:26 PM »
I reapplied this year, and I can tell you that LSAC does keep your letters of recommendation and transcripts.  You don't have to send those things in again.  You might want to check with your recommenders to see if they put a date on your letters though, since you probably don't want them to look like they are a year old when your schools get them.  If you aren't in school and don't have new grades, there wouldn't be any reason to send a new transcript in.

I don't know if your chances of getting into school will be any different as a reapplicant.  If it is more competitive to get into school each year, then it might be slightly more difficult.  I can tell you that I got into one school that I was waitlisted at last year, and was waitlisted at one I was waitlisted at last year.  I haven't heard back from the other one I reapplied to.  But, I retook my LSAT.  I think a supplemental essay or adding something to your personal statement with the reasoning for taking a year off would be helpful.  I don't think it would ever hurt you, and it would give the adcoms more confidence that you wouldn't be a flight risk.
Boston College Class of 2011!

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »
Is it really that big of a deal to have a late 2007 date on a LOR?  It was rather complicated getting my LORs in the first place (I'm 20 years out of UG) and I don't really want to ask them for new ones.  I'll have at least one new LOR with a 2008 date, but it just seems a waste of time and trees to get the other two resent.  (Note, I didn't end up applying this cycle, so it's not like my schools have seen my LORs anyway.)
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »
I have no idea how important it is to have a current date on LORs.  For me it was just a personal preference to have everything as updated as possible.
Boston College Class of 2011!

ohthehugemanatee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 04:40:52 PM »
Is it really that big of a deal to have a late 2007 date on a LOR?  It was rather complicated getting my LORs in the first place (I'm 20 years out of UG) and I don't really want to ask them for new ones.  I'll have at least one new LOR with a 2008 date, but it just seems a waste of time and trees to get the other two resent.  (Note, I didn't end up applying this cycle, so it's not like my schools have seen my LORs anyway.)

Personally it would seem a little.... effortless to leave it with the old date.  All you need them to do is update the date nothing else.

Not a big deal.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »
Tag for later when I will answer any questions I can.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

ShadWhitmore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »
Tag

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys - I still have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in terms of my plans, but I feel a lot better about considering postponing.  I could always take the LSAT again to see if I could pull off a truly insane score, but my score would probably go down...I could always take PrepTest 51 and see what I get!

Anyone reapplied or considering doing so WITHOUT a new LSAT score?
Vandy Law 2011

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »
I re-applied without a new lsat score.  It's been a weird cycle. Denied at two schools which I was waitlisted and one which I was accepted.  I have also been waitlisted at one of my top schools this year. Still waiting to hear back from tons of schools though...