Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Great Moments in Public Transportation  (Read 12640 times)

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Great Moments in Public Transportation
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 05:08:42 PM »
Man, I am SO glad I left New York. Reading this brings back memories. I swear every disease known to man exists in the NYC subway. The worst is in the summer, when it's so damn stifling hot down there, especially on the east side lines.

My worst subway story involves a homeless guy whacking off on a crowded F train at 3 in the morning. Yuck.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 05:23:24 PM »
Man, I am SO glad I left New York. Reading this brings back memories. I swear every disease known to man exists in the NYC subway. The worst is in the summer, when it's so damn stifling hot down there, especially on the east side lines.

My worst subway story involves a homeless guy whacking off on a crowded F train at 3 in the morning. Yuck.

:D that made me LOL
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »
Note to self..Do not take the subway in NYC..man all of these stories are nasty. All MARTA has is a few rats in the train stations and every now and then you get the   preacher who tells us we are all dying and going to hell, local youth who feel the need to cuss out their friends via cellphone on the train, and my all time favorite the man drunker than Cooter Brown who wants to tell the whole train his life story in song.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 07:12:04 PM »
Lol @ all of these stories (except ::barf:: @ phlegm and vomit).  Keep 'em coming.

And KD, MARTA trains are a joke.  I know it, you know it, and anyone who has ever ridden that big X knows it.

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »
Lol @ all of these stories (except ::barf:: @ phlegm and vomit).  Keep 'em coming.

And KD, MARTA trains are a joke.  I know it, you know it, and anyone who has ever ridden that big X knows it.

Yes I know our trains dont go far..but our people in the burbs dont want to many inner city folk to come out that far for fear of being robbed..crime rates going up...blah blah. It comes up every year. I sooo wish we did have commuter trains.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »
My home town got a T commuter rail, and thats what my community said would happen.  And guess what?  It did :)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 03:09:10 PM »
Those kids who sell candy slay me.  At least they are honest--they aren't selling candy "for no basketball team.  I'm selling candy to keep some money in my pockets, so I can stay out of trouble."  Maybe you should go get a paper route or something.

I generally don't see anything gross on the train...but all last year while I was working (and taking the lexington ave trains) I'd see a fight/almost fight about once a week.  I'd always lower the volume on my ipod so I could a) be nosy and catch the jokes/laughs and b) figure out if I'd need to try and make a quick get away.  I remember this one WI lady pushing some other chick bc she claimed the other chic pushed her first.  Homegirl was scared out of her mind...no lie, big WI women are scary.

Then one time, my train went out of service because one of the smaller windows fell out and hit some woman upside her head.
Columbia 3L

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 03:17:48 PM »
My best night on a NJTransit train: I was sitting facing the back of the train when a bunch of ridiculously drunk Yankees fans got on.  The one guy starts hitting on these girls that were obviously coming home from some fancy club and as he starts "hey baby"-ing her he pukes all over the two of them.  Then him and his friends ran off, presumably to another car.  The girls rode back to Jersey covered in bile, beer, and partially digested hotdogs.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 04:25:33 PM »
Classic.

Well the airlines also fall within the scope of public transportation so here goes my airline story from this past weekend.

Let me just say that it is about 600 miles from New York to Detroit.  You could drive this in about 8 hours, give or take.

So I check out of the hotel, head to the airport and get there at 12 noon.  (start the clock)  Flight sceduled for 1 something.  Get there, of course, the flight is delated until 2 because they were waiting for the pilot to show up.  Where is he?  At the bar? 

2 o'clock comes, pilot has aparently showed up, but the flight is delayed another hour for some strange reason.  But we're gonna go ahead and board at 2:30.

2:30 - we board.

2:45 - everybody's sitting down in the plane with their seatbelts fastened and their tray tables in their full and locked upright positions.  The plane is at the gate.

3:00 - ditto

3:15 - ditto

3:30 - Captain coms on the radio and says we are still waiting for a GROUND CREW to come over to this plane and give it a push back from the gate...as I look out the window and several ground crews chillin outside.  You mean THAT ground crew?  Would you like one of us perhaps to go and ask them since you seem incapable of doing this yourself?

4:08 pm - plane pushes back from the friggin gate.

4:30 pm - "Ladies and gentlemen the control deck has informed us that we are currently #17 for take off."  Because they, what, forgot that we too had to take off today?

5:something we take off.  It has now been 5 hours and some change since I arrived at the airport.  Had I driven from Detroit to New York, this would had placed me somewhere around the middle of Pennsylvania.

7:00 - we land at LaGuardia.

7:30 - still waiting for bags

7:45 - walk outside of the airport for the first time and catch a stand in line for a cab.

8:05 - make my way to the front of the cab line and get in one.

8:20pm - get home.  8 hours and 20 minutes having passed during this flying experience.  Roughly 20 minutes over the amount of time it would have literally taken me to drive a car all the friggin way from Detroit. 

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is my beef with flying.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »
Dang. 

Oh and I forgot to mention one important detail - the WHOLE TIME (and I do mean the entire time) that we were on the plane, I had the infmaous baby crying two rows behind me. 

Yeah.

:P
Charles H. Houston