Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Looking Guys and Girls Law Schools (just for fun)  (Read 9906 times)

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best Looking Guys and Girls Law Schools (just for fun)
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 03:21:37 PM »
I don't buy the assumption that many seem to make: there is an indirect correlation between LSAT/GPA and attractiveness.  Where did this come from and how/why is it continually perpetuated?

I don't buy it either. The Economist (last fall, I believe) reported on a study that found a positive correlation between attractiveness and intelligence. Perhaps this correlation falls apart at the extreme upper end of intelligence?

Edit: Here's the article if you're interested:

http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10311266

The article focuses on the relationship between success and beauty, but it mentions studies that have found a positive correlation between beauty and intelligence.

There are also studies that suggest a positive correlation between athletic ability and intelligence, but I am sure there are covert proponents of the bell curve that would argue against it on the internet and keep their holes closed in an open dialogue

I will agree that Univ of Miami, FSU, UF probably has the hotter chicks. I would also throw Univ of Houston and Howard in there for good measure

VBVAZRockz

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »
US NEWs should use "Peer-Ranked Attractiveness" as a category to rank their law schools. ;D
YLS'11

ShadWhitmore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2008, 03:52:41 PM »
...but I am sure there are covert proponents of the bell curve that would argue against it on the internet and keep their holes closed in an open dialogue

Perhaps today's been a long day, but... What do you mean by that? How does that apply to the purported positive correlation between looks and intelligence (or athleticism and intelligence)?

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2008, 04:15:10 PM »
I disagree-- I think hot women would be more likely to go to T1 schools.

Let's assume that intelligence is evenly distributed among every category of girl from "Extremely hot" down to "extremely ugly."

I think it is fair to say that intelligent people pick up on more norms like working out, eating healthy, and taking care of our looks. That is because we understand that looking good augments our chances at success in life and makes the quality of our life higher.

Therefore, although intelligent people have genetically equal good-looks generally, they will have better looking people comparatively by virtue of their striving to look as good as possible.

Someone should really do a thesis to answer this question scientifically...

uhhh..."we?" don't you mean "they?"

slam! good one.
"read a book."
Depaul '11

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 04:17:54 PM »
I think we are somewhat too dismissive of Law school girls. We have a few very beatiful girls in some of our classes. Sure, they are numbered, but i think the same is true pretty much anywhere else. And, if you're thinking long term, girls here are very intelligent and will earn a lot of money late on in their lives. So i dont see why you wouldn't want to date someone in law school... sure there are other schools, but if you find someone you like in law school, then why not?

PIZZAMAN86

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 04:22:23 PM »
Ole Miss

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 06:39:23 PM »
TCR is any SEC school: UGA, UF, Bama, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vandy (to a lesser extent). At these schools, if the law school girls don't work out, at least you have a "talented" undergraduate student body to pool from. QED
Tulane c/o 2011

SunnyG

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 10:51:58 PM »
Let's assume that intelligence is evenly distributed among every category of girl from "Extremely hot" down to "extremely ugly."

Why do you assume this?

I think it is fair to say that intelligent people pick up on more norms like working out, eating healthy, and taking care of our looks. That is because we understand that looking good augments our chances at success in life and makes the quality of our life higher.

Therefore, although intelligent people have genetically equal good-looks generally, they will have better looking people comparatively by virtue of their striving to look as good as possible.

I think you are looking at intelligence far too narrowly--just because one is book-smart doesn't mean one is health-smart, and vice versa. There isn't necessarily a direct relationship between the two.

If anything, I would think that someone who is attractive has somewhat less real-world incentive to develop their intellect academically because of how much easier numerous things in life can be.

I disagree.  People often make faulty assumptions that attractive girls are ditzy or unintelligent- Meaning they have to work to prove the stereotype wrong.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 11:03:50 PM »
Anyone actually debating this is ugly.
YLS c/o 2009

newjaytdot

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »
Anyone actually debating this is ugly.

Are you ugly?