Law School Discussion

JUST GOT A CALL FROM CRAIG JANECEK!

Re: JUST GOT A CALL FROM CRAIG JANECEK!
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 05:58:35 PM »
at the risk of politicizing this thread, what annoys me most is when left-leaning people or right-leaning people have knee-jerk reactions to certain positions because they are supported by people on the other side of the aisle.

I'm still trying to figure out if robbing Swiss banks is left wing or right wing.  Maybe determining the tilt of the current Swiss government might help.

haven't you heard?  crime is always left wing!

Check.  Now what about overthrowing the UN?  I was under the impression that was a right-wing talking point, neh?

that's true.  you should try to be more consistent next time.

Ah, you missed the memo on native consistency - must have heard the term "Indian giver", neh?  Hannibal can probably help you with that - he collects all the memos on Indian stereotypes (that must have been how he knew I was a "walking" one...)

haha

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
I would not even think twice btwn Harvard and Yale. I would choose Yale simply because of the size of the class. I am not a fan of huge classes and Harvard is a very big law school. That is the reason I did not even apply there, even though I probably had a decent chance.

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 09:21:17 AM »
I would not even think twice btwn Harvard and Yale. I would choose Yale simply because of the size of the class. I am not a fan of huge classes and Harvard is a very big law school. That is the reason I did not even apply there, even though I probably had a decent chance.

Just, real quick, about this: huge is relative. It's huge for law schools, but small-small compared to what most people experienced in undergrad. I guess I've always been mystified when people are totally okay with normal-big UG size, but then suddenly think 500 in a class is scary-huge when it comes to law school.

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 09:42:43 AM »

Just, real quick, about this: huge is relative. It's huge for law schools, but small-small compared to what most people experienced in undergrad. I guess I've always been mystified when people are totally okay with normal-big UG size, but then suddenly think 500 in a class is scary-huge when it comes to law school.

Graduate programs are very, very different in terms of what applicants, including myself, seek.  Unlike my huge state UG, I want a law school in which I can interact with professors and know most of my fellow law students.

Certainly, there's something intimidating about staying in the lecture circuit in Grad School.  Grades are far more crucial; I don't want to be another student in the B section that meets in the large auditorium.

I feel you on needing different things, but we're talking about 500 people with a student-faculty ratio like the very good undergrads--you're not going to be another student in the B section even at HLS.

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 09:57:15 AM »

Graduate programs are very, very different in terms of what applicants, including myself, seek.  Unlike my huge state UG, I want a law school in which I can interact with professors and know most of my fellow law students.

Certainly, there's something intimidating about staying in the lecture circuit in Grad School.  Grades are far more crucial; I don't want to be another student in the B section that meets in the large auditorium.

I feel you on needing different things, but we're talking about 500 people with a student-faculty ratio like the very good undergrads--you're not going to be another student in the B section even at HLS.

While you're, as per usual, an excellent advocate for your school, I've read a deluge of information which would suggest the contrary.

This is partially moot, since I don't think I'll be accepted.

I mean, sure. But the info you're getting, to me, seems inaccurate. For what it's worth.

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 02:25:43 PM »

This actually terrifies me about Yale -- not Harvard.  I find 550 to be reassuring, and 180 to be profoundly frightening.  If you're even slightly an oddball (and who here isn't?), a class of 180 can leave you in a very tiny, constricted social circle.  Say you're religious.  Or from a small town.  Or (gasp) conservative.  Or you have an obscure interest, like a martial art or hockey.  You'll still be in the minority at Harvard, but a minority in a class of 600 is a lot less scary than being a minority in a class of 180.

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 05:33:22 PM »

This actually terrifies me about Yale -- not Harvard.  I find 550 to be reassuring, and 180 to be profoundly frightening.  If you're even slightly an oddball (and who here isn't?), a class of 180 can leave you in a very tiny, constricted social circle.  Say you're religious.  Or from a small town.  Or (gasp) conservative.  Or you have an obscure interest, like a martial art or hockey.  You'll still be in the minority at Harvard, but a minority in a class of 600 is a lot less scary than being a minority in a class of 180.

Ok but really, your social circle will not encompass more than 10-20 or 30 tops people regardless. Yale pays more attention to their students in that regard.

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 10:31:32 PM »

Ok but really, your social circle will not encompass more than 10-20 or 30 tops people regardless. Yale pays more attention to their students in that regard.

What?  Yale is going to protect my social life?   ???

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 11:04:59 PM »
Got news that YLS class is literally full! I think I am going to mail in my seat deposit soon!

YALE 2011! WOOT!

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2008, 06:44:12 AM »

At Yale there are religious students, small-toweners, and yes, even conservatives. Remember that Yale is a relatively large Ivy with lots of grad schools. You can find others like yourself outside the law school if you need to. The same goes for obscure interests. You will find more obscure interest groups at Yale than practically anywhere else.

Believe me, just about everyone at YLS is an oddball (I've visited). That's part of what makes it an amazing school. There's such a richness of characters - yes, they're all inclined toward a certain type of intelligence, but there's an wonderful diversity of talents. You'll be spending three years with people who will go on to do truly amazing things - and get to know them on a personal level. Plus, you won't feel like you're competing with everyone and you'll have more free time (especially first semester) to spend socializing with 1Ls or whomever else.

And VBV - You won't lose your acceptance if the class is full!