Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recommender Change's his mind!?  (Read 818 times)

Guy Patterson

• View Profile
Recommender Change's his mind!?
« on: March 26, 2008, 04:52:23 PM »
After missing a day of work because I wrote down the wrong day on my vacation slip, my boss tells me how it's too bad he already wrote my LOR and that he may just call the schools and revoke it. He's always been a jerk, and he said this in front of whole office. I gave him my LOR (letter of resignation) the next morning. I've already accepted a scholarship offer and made my deposit.

My questions are:

1.) If he actually gets ahold of the school I'm going to, can it jeopardize my scholarship or admittance?

2.) If so, should I let the school know about the situation?

Juice

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Recommender Change's his mind!?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:57:17 PM »
No, you should just let it be and it is none of their business at this point. In the future, don't characterize your departure to future employers as having been caused by your conflict with him. Strike it up to leaving to pursue a better opportunity and go find another job. If he actually calls to try to revoke it, it will be too late since a decision has already been made, and his reason for revoking it is extremely weak.

Guy Patterson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:08:08 PM »
Thanks. I appreciate your advice and agree with everything you said.

AmericasTeam

• Getcha Popcorn Ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:15:40 PM »
What a jerk! I think law schools would think the same thing even if they found out about this. Totally childish, and unprofessional. Sounds like a real loser...
Yes: Baylor ($$), Houston ($$), Texas Tech (not interested)
No: UCLA, Wash U St. Louis, CU, Fordham
Maybe: SMU (Waitlisted), Texas (Waitlisted), Wisconsin(on "hold") UIUC (Waitlisted, Withdrawn)

God bless the Dallas Cowboys and Tony Romo

ohthehugemanatee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:20:06 PM »
After missing a day of work because I wrote down the wrong day on my vacation slip, my boss tells me how it's too bad he already wrote my LOR and that he may just call the schools and revoke it. He's always been a jerk, and he said this in front of whole office. I gave him my LOR (letter of resignation) the next morning. I've already accepted a scholarship offer and made my deposit.

My questions are:

1.) If he actually gets ahold of the school I'm going to, can it jeopardize my scholarship or admittance?

2.) If so, should I let the school know about the situation?

You resigned the next morning?  That's friggin awesome.

Juice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 05:21:38 PM »
The only potential risk is if he calls them, requests to remove the rec and comes up with a huge compelling lie that will catch their attention. EG: "I thought I knew this guy, but I caught him stealing from the register and he also called one of our minority workers a derogatory name. I had to let him go, but he quit first."

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 05:37:23 PM »
Call HR and make sure that your reason for leaving is officially resignation and not dismissal. Offer a copy of your resignation letter for your file. A lot of companies will only verify dates of employment, title and maybe salary to those doing background checks for legal reasons. Be sure that if in the future someone is checking that you are represented accurately.

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 06:44:28 PM »
Why did you ask this guy to do your LOR?

gophils215

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just need one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 07:01:25 PM »
Why did you ask this guy to do your LOR?

Seriously.  If you knew he was such a scumbag then why would you ask him to write such an important letter?  Props for resigning though.
Homerun:
Strikeout: BC, ASU, Hastings, UVA, Davis, W&M
3-2 Count: USF, Chapman
Batters' Box: Everywhere Else