Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: William & Mary Waitlist  (Read 5563 times)

arich24

• View Profile
    • Email
William & Mary Waitlist
« on: March 26, 2008, 03:27:58 PM »
Who is on it?  Who is hanging in there?

Me...surprised as hell I was even waitlisted and not outright rejected with my 158!!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: William & Mary Waitlist
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:32:18 PM »
I'm on it, but I'm not going to be staying on it. 

beanie13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »
I'm on it!

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:59:25 PM »
I'm on it, and will probably be staying on it for quite a while.

stinabee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:46:46 PM »
Who is on it?  Who is hanging in there?

Me...surprised as hell I was even waitlisted and not outright rejected with my 158!!

I'm in the same boat with my 157. However I don't think I'll stay on it...there's a small chance I'll actually get off of it, and I want to know where I'm going by the end of this semester.

CoupDeGlace

• Sr. Citizen
  • Les Canadiens sont l!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 01:24:17 AM »
I'm also on it and I intend to ride it for a while... it's the one school I've been waitlisted at that I'll make an effort to get off of, although from what I've been told from several people the odds are low that I'll actually get off it.

The one good thing though is W&M have now made all their decisions, so they say they start looking at the WL come May, after deposits are due. On the flip side, I was also WL at George Mason, which doesn't start pulling off the WL until mid June because they're actually still taking applications...
UF 2011

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 01:32:45 AM »
I don't really understand the whole, "It's almost impossible to get accepted after a WL at W&M."

The school inevitably will receive many withdrawals from applicants who have been accepted. This means that they need butts for those seats. Since no new applications are coming in, and virtually all applications have been reviewed, the waitlisted candidates will naturally receive acceptances.

The only "almost impossible" thing I can take from it is that it may be more difficult in terms of percentages, i.e. more candidates on waitlist compared to other schools + same amount of seats = smaller percentage of waitlisted candidates are accepted.

I think that what it ultimately means is if you have a reasonable chance of getting off a waitlist at another school, then you should have a comparable chance at W&M (I would think they would take the higher numbered candidates, but I could be wrong.)

CoupDeGlace

• Sr. Citizen
  • Les Canadiens sont l!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 01:36:04 AM »
You would think that... yet someone told me that they were WL'd last year and yet what happened was that W&M must have overstretched and they yielded more students than they even expected, so they didn't pull off the WL last year.

Likewise, a friend of mine who asked about the waitlist at the University of Florida was told that last year they pulled around 50 people off the WL but the year prior they took nobody off of it.

So, I think it's really dependent on how many of the actual admits they manage to yield. Obviously if by May 1 or whenever their seat deposits are due they didn't yield enough to fill the class, they'll start pulling us off. I guess it's only logical then to try and shine the most out of anyone on the WL so you're one of the first to be called off.
UF 2011

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 01:40:10 AM »

So, I think it's really dependent on how many of the actual admits they manage to yield. Obviously if by May 1 or whenever their seat deposits are due they didn't yield enough to fill the class, they'll start pulling us off. I guess it's only logical then to try and shine the most out of anyone on the WL so you're one of the first to be called off.

Ugh. I guess I have to go to class tomorrow.. Bummer.

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »
I'm on the WL as well.  I'm torn about how long to stay on though.  W&M are one of my top choices, but logistically riding out the wait late into the summer is not practical.  I have a family and currently live in the Seattle area.  I'll be visiting in a couple of weeks, so maybe that will sway me to wait it out or not.  I would have preferred an outright rejection to a WL.