Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MSU Full-Ride vs. Chicago-Kent  (Read 1846 times)

allen3cm

• View Profile
MSU Full-Ride vs. Chicago-Kent
« on: March 26, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
I was hoping for some contemplations regarding my dilemma.

I've gotten a full-ride to MSU (3.0 renewable) and I've been accepted to Chicago-Kent with 1 time nonrenewable stipend of $10,000. 

Money is an important factor to me; I have no funding provided except that which I am given from the law schools (and/or government through loans).

I don't necessarily want to work in Chicago but I would highly consider it and I would not be (totally) averse to working in Michigan.  Finally, I'm not sure if I want to work in biglaw.  I'd like to leave the doors open for a government job or something along those lines if I so choose.

Basically it comes down to MSU and $30,000 in debt or Chicago-Kent and $130,000ish in debt. 

Anyone have some opinions or facts they'd bequeath upon me?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
Re: MSU Full-Ride vs. Chicago-Kent
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »
Have you visited MSU?  They do very well in preparing their students to actually work.  Their trial prep programs seem very good (their mock courtroom is AWESOME), and their clinical programs are pretty impressive. 

I don't really know much about Kent, but I've heard good things.  Ultimately, if you don't want biglaw it might be worth taking the money.  I certainly wouldn't sign up without visiting.  I was there last Friday, and would probably have gone there if not for my Michigan acceptance. 

Good luck!  I work with many MSU Law students and grads, so if you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

allen3cm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:37:21 PM »
Yes I have visited MSU, it's a nice campus and has nice law school facilities. Amen on the moot courtroom. 

I'm more interested in debt/job opportunities/quality of education than facilities (although those are important in their own way).

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »
Have you visited MSU?  They do very well in preparing their students to actually work.  Their trial prep programs seem very good (their mock courtroom is AWESOME), and their clinical programs are pretty impressive. 

I don't really know much about Kent, but I've heard good things.  Ultimately, if you don't want biglaw it might be worth taking the money.  I certainly wouldn't sign up without visiting.  I was there last Friday, and would probably have gone there if not for my Michigan acceptance. 

Good luck!  I work with many MSU Law students and grads, so if you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me. 

You'd have gone to MSU over Duke and UVA?

I might have had to.  My roots are in Michigan (as is my house and wife), and I don't know if I would have wanted to make her move while we are trying to start a family.  Even then, chances are I would have gone away.  She works for an attorney, and I work for many, so the voices telling us to "go to the best school" would have been very loud. 

Having said all that, I have good connections, would have been a King Scholar at MSU, and would probably have had a very good chance at a good Michigan biglaw job anyway.  I just couldn't resist the lure of Michigan, though.  The Quad has a power over me. 

LSN

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:32:45 PM »
You should really find out what the curve is at MSU before you accept. I've heard bad things about the number of students who lose the King Scholarship.
Michigan '11

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »
You should really find out what the curve is at MSU before you accept. I've heard bad things about the number of students who lose the King Scholarship.

That's one of the reasons I didn't take it.  I have no doubt that I'm smarter than most Spartans, but what happens when I become one?  Wouldn't that start to even the playing field?

(Joking, Spartans!)

LSN

Signal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 09:37:59 PM »
I don't know much about MSU, but I loved Chicago-Kent when I visited.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:13:33 PM »
You would have to stay in about the top 1/2 to keep your scholarship. And some of the people you are competing with got a question about as easy as, "which color is the judge's robes?" multiple choice question wrong. I kid you not. Some schools are a lot stricter than top 1/2.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:32:51 PM »
I don't know much about MSU, but I loved Chicago-Kent when I visited.

What'd you love about Kent? I haven't heard many comments from people that have visited this year, so I would be interested in hearing your thoughts, thanks!

Signal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 11:53:31 PM »
I liked a lot of things about Kent. I think I like a smaller student body, so it had that going for it. The students I met all seemed really happy there, and they had good things to say about the school. I always like to ask the students I meet what they would change about their school if they could, and I liked the answers I got at Kent the most out of any school I've visited thus far. The professors also seemed really invested in the school. Does that help at all?