Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer jobs?  (Read 576 times)

tradewinds

• Sr. Citizen
  • YLS 2011 (98% sure)
    • View Profile
Summer jobs?
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:59:24 PM »
As a 0L at one of HYS, is there any chance of finding a summer job at a firm (I assume there is zero chance of becoming a summer associate, but I'd be happy with any staff position that doesn't pay terribly)? Has anyone managed to swing this before?

At this point, I just have NO idea what to do with my summer.

mertmengelmier

• View Profile
Re: Summer jobs?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:01:53 PM »
Summer Associate - Impossible.  You could get a staff position somewhere if you lied and said you were going to stay on indefinitely, but that would burn a bridge when you left for your 1L.

Don't work, do something else, like relax before you jump into the difficulties of your first year.

That or work somewhere that gives you a little cash to deal with the high expenses of your degree.
Obsessively checking a site that really helps us all little.

tradewinds

• Sr. Citizen
  • YLS 2011 (98% sure)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »
Summer Associate - Impossible.  You could get a staff position somewhere if you lied and said you were going to stay on indefinitely, but that would burn a bridge when you left for your 1L.

Don't work, do something else, like relax before you jump into the difficulties of your first year.

That or work somewhere that gives you a little cash to deal with the high expenses of your degree.

Yeah, believe me, I'd love to not have to work -- but my $500 in savings can only go so far and I don't know what other marketable skills I have.

bbhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 03:50:49 PM »

There was a kid in my office who graduated from Penn then worked as a paralegal clerk for the summer then started at UT law.  I'd guess you could probably find something like that either in Boston or near your hometown...  Between my Soph and Junior years at college I worked for a local lawyer, just helping around the office.  Surely you can find something like that for the summer.  The fact that you are going to Harvard law should make it easy to find a summer job in law if you look hard enough.

Yeah, believe me, I'd love to not have to work -- but my $500 in savings can only go so far and I don't know what other marketable skills I have.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »
Contact a paralegal temp agency.  There are plenty of legal secretary and paralegal jobs that are on a limited basis b/c of vacations, family and medical leave act, etc.