Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: seat deposit at 2 schools?  (Read 6325 times)

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: seat deposit at 2 schools?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:31:42 PM »
I would seriously advise AGAINST the whole 2X deposit thing. LSAC posted a notice warning against it here: http://www.lsac.org/Applying/lsdas-other-information.asp

There's a long thread about this here:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24541&hilit=double+deposits

It seems to risky in my view to deposit in two places like this. A school may be able to revoke its offer.

Actually-- they can't revoke the offer because they won't know who you are. Read carefully.

"Each year, law schools that participate in LSAC's commitment overlap reporting service provide LSAC with information about applicants who have been accepted and have paid a deposit or provided a verbal or written agreement to attend their schools. Each spring, participating law schools receive periodic reports detailing the number of their committed applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, as well as the identification of those other schools. Starting on June 15, 2008, those reports will also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools. "

Before June 15th, schools only learn the number of people with multiple deposits... the list of names comes later. I think covering the board with a blanket of deposits to give yourself another month or two to think things over is shady. But, to buy yourself a week or two so you can tour all your options... forgivable.

chammon2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »
If you're going to be putting down more than one seat deposit, more often than not they will not overlap, correct?  For instance, while LSAC doesn't approve of having two out there at the same time, if you have to put one down by April 1 for school A, but you get pulled off the waitlist at school B in May, you can withdraw from school A and then put down a deposit at school B.  In this scenario, you would have paid two seat deposits, but they would not be overlapping.  It seems that their main goal is to avoid people putting down multiple deposits in April, then waiting until July to decide.  Which scenario are you?

And if you look at the links rosetta posted, it seems like they can take your offer of admission away.

It would be great if they would just adopt a standard date for notification and deposits.

chammon2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 06:34:22 PM »
If you're going to be putting down more than one seat deposit, more often than not they will not overlap, correct?  For instance, while LSAC doesn't approve of having two out there at the same time, if you have to put one down by April 1 for school A, but you get pulled off the waitlist at school B in May, you can withdraw from school A and then put down a deposit at school B.  In this scenario, you would have paid two seat deposits, but they would not be overlapping.  It seems that their main goal is to avoid people putting down multiple deposits in April, then waiting until July to decide.  Which scenario are you?

And if you look at the links rosetta posted, it seems like they can take your offer of admission away.

It would be great if they would just adopt a standard date for notification and deposits.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 06:35:26 PM »
I think the school has to specifically state that your deposit is binding for them to consider removing you from the class for double depositing.

Also, the website referenced states they will start this on June 15.  By June 15, I would think all double depositors would know where they were going.

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 06:43:49 PM »
I would seriously advise AGAINST the whole 2X deposit thing. LSAC posted a notice warning against it here: http://www.lsac.org/Applying/lsdas-other-information.asp

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24541&hilit=double+deposits

It seems to risky in my view to deposit in two places like this. A school may be able to revoke its offer.

Actually-- they can't revoke the offer because they won't know who you are. Read carefully.

"Each year, law schools that participate in LSAC's commitment overlap reporting service provide LSAC with information about applicants who have been accepted and have paid a deposit or provided a verbal or written agreement to attend their schools. Each spring, participating law schools receive periodic reports detailing the number of their committed applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, as well as the identification of those other schools. Starting on June 15, 2008, those reports will also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools. "

Before June 15th, schools only learn the number of people with multiple deposits... the list of names comes later. I think covering the board with a blanket of deposits to give yourself another month or two to think things over is shady. But, to buy yourself a week or two so you can tour all your options... forgivable.

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Is it unethical/illegal to send in seat deposits to two different schools, if only to buy more time on making the decision.  I realize that they are non-refundable, but if I can't make up my mind it is probably worth the few hundred bucks to have another month or two to decide.

Are there any other consequences from doing this?  Can a school take away your spot if they find out?  Do they care?

This is unethical and selfish.  Don't do it.  Do you really think your difficulty in deciding is going to magically disappear if you give it just a few more weeks?  What's your endgame here?  You need to think seriously about why you can't make up your mind now.  What is going to change between now and two months from now?  I realize this is a tough position and I sympathise with you.  Perhaps instead of cheating your way to more time, you can approach the schools and ask for an extension to the deadline.  Or maybe you just need to bite the bullet and make a decision.  If your on the fence about it, the odds are that neither school will be a bad choice.

Think of it this way:  You are lying to the school and making a contract with an intention to breach it.  I'd say that's wrong.  What makes it even more wrong is the burdens that you place on other people.  If you put down a seat deposit without any intention of going there, you're screwing over someone who really wants to go to the school and is sitting on the waitlist.  You're also adding tons of extra work for faculty and staff who would begin preparing for your arrival.

In terms of consequences, I'm not sure what would happen.  Schools could of course find out.  I'd hope that they'd deal seriously with something like this.  The legal profession should be open only to those with honesty and integrity.

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »
I'm putting down two deposits because I can't actually go visit one of them until after their first deposit deadline.  Not much I can do about it, but I honestly can't decide right now.

Did you try explaining the situation and asking for an extension first?

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 10:24:18 PM »

A standard date for notification and deposits would not solve the problem.  It seems that most of the people who do multiple deposits are people who already have acceptances and have plenty of time to make a decision---they just are afraid to make a commitment so they put it off.  For example, it seems like the OP already has two offers in hand and has time to consider each of them, but nonetheless wants to put down two deposits to buy even more time.

Moreover, a standard notification date would have a limited effect.  Schools would still have to defer, waitlist, or hold applications.  Waitlist offers, obviously, couldn't go out until the regular offers had been accepted or rejected--i.e., after the standard deadline.

steph73013

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »
I live out of state and can't visit schools until after the deposits are due. I have limited it down to two schools, but I can't decide without seeing them both and don't want to lose my place at either one. Could they really revoke the acceptance?

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 03:18:18 PM »

There is no language in that LSAC notice that is a warning against doing multiple seat deposits.  It only states that they will notify schools of your accepted status and also the school in which you verbally or financially committed via deposit.  It is up to the individual schools to take whatever action they so desire. 
University of Oklahoma '11