Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Shocking rumor about Texas Tech  (Read 1827 times)

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Shocking rumor about Texas Tech
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:29:04 PM »
I spoke to a TT alum (UG) who said "TT's law school is in the toilet and they are at risk of losing accreditation".

We all know they are sub-par (Tier 3 status), but can a T3 school REALLY be at risk of losing accreditation. Wouldn't they have slipped to T4 if this were true?

Discuss.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: Shocking rumor about Texas Tech
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:02:16 PM »
The two have nothing to do with one another.
The US News is based largely on "reputation", which is important in the legal field for alumni because that's how people will regard your degree.
The accreditation criteria for ABA and AALS are based on other standards.  So it's possible for a T3 to go on probation.  Of course, the next year you can bet they would be T4.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:42:30 PM »
There are new ABA standards RE: bar passage.

Maybe their bar passage has become poor?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

raider1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:48:56 PM »
i went to TTU as an UG and i have heard nothing about this!! from what i understand they have a very high bar passage rate and are slowly gaining a better reputation

littlebit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 07:59:03 AM »
I am pretty sure it was only the UG program that was put on some sort of probation because it missed some reporting deadline.  I have heard good things about the the Texas Tech Law School.  It has one big problem and that is no large market close to Lubbock (or anything else for that matter) But if you are thinking of attending, give them a call!

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 08:06:12 AM »
I spoke to a TT alum (UG) who said "TT's law school is in the toilet and they are at risk of losing accreditation".

We all know they are sub-par (Tier 3 status), but can a T3 school REALLY be at risk of losing accreditation. Wouldn't they have slipped to T4 if this were true?

Discuss.
As said rankings have nothing to do with accreditation.  I know University of Colorado (a tier one school) was going to to lose accreditation unless they built a new law school about 3 years ago.  You lose accreditation based on the ABA standards   .

What were the problems cited with the old facility that put the school at risk for losing accreditation?

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:20:23 AM »
I am pretty sure it was only the UG program that was put on some sort of probation because it missed some reporting deadline.  I have heard good things about the the Texas Tech Law School.  It has one big problem and that is no large market close to Lubbock (or anything else for that matter) But if you are thinking of attending, give them a call!

I have confirmed this to be the case... this remark was directed toward the UG not the law school. I'm heading up to Lubbock this weekend to give them their go to impress me :-)

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »
I'm a TTU undergrad alum, I have heard nothing about Tech potentially losing its accreditation. I doubt it's thier facility because they finished a new expansion last year.

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »
http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?s=7490526

http://www.texastech.edu/stories/1213-sacs.php

A) this news is old
B) it has nothing to do with the law school
C) my friend is an idiot