Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A tactical question re: Waitlists  (Read 1371 times)

mconnett

• View Profile
    • LSN
A tactical question re: Waitlists
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:30:39 AM »
I just got waitlisted at U of Mich, and since it's probably unlikely that I will get in, I'm wondering if it would be better (for a future cycle) if I withdrew my candidacy. In other words, if I applied again to U of Mich, would it look better on my application if they knew that I withdrew my WL rather than being ultimately rejected?

FWIW, the U of Michigan waitlist letter is the most flattering of the WLs I've received (I've also received WLs from Vanderbilt and American).

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: A tactical question re: Waitlists
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 11:39:29 AM »
I just got waitlisted at U of Mich, and since it's probably unlikely that I will get in, I'm wondering if it would be better (for a future cycle) if I withdrew my candidacy. In other words, if I applied again to U of Mich, would it look better on my application if they knew that I withdrew my WL rather than being ultimately rejected?

FWIW, the U of Michigan waitlist letter is the most flattering of the WLs I've received (I've also received WLs from Vanderbilt and American).

If you withdraw, then they think you don't want to go there.  Send in a LOCI, take the rejection, retake the LSAT, reapply, profit.

I agree with reezy.  Definitely don't withdraw.

Also, mconnett you're exactly right about Michigan's waitlist letter.  The quality of writing in all their materials is really outstanding.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 12:12:25 PM »
Also, let Admissions know that you'd consider deferring to next year.  In the past, they have occasionally accepted a few people from the waitlist for the following year's summer start. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

poland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »
One of my friends wrote a letter requesting deffered admission and was accepted within a week to the summer start program of the following year. 

stoney732

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 04:18:21 PM »
I told them I would be happy to defer, but they said they wanted to evaluate everything in April/May before giving out deferrals b/c they might want me for this year's class.  I don't know if anyone has gotten a deferral this cycle or not, but that's what they told me FWIW.
Vanderbilt Law Class of 2011