Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Princeton Review - WTF?!  (Read 4830 times)

texas1

Re: Princeton Review - WTF?!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 08:25:10 PM »
Most competitive students
 1 Baylor University     
 2 Southwestern University School of Law     
 3 Brigham Young University     
 4 Suffolk University     
 5 Brooklyn Law School     
 6 Yeshiva University     
 7 Albany Law School     
 8 Widener University     
 9 Golden Gate University   
 10 Emory University     

Watch out for #6, those students at Yeshiva will crucify ya'.

M2

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 02:31:05 AM »
180!!! holy *&^% that was funny...sorry i dont know if im supposed to laugh at this..but omg

texas1

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 09:38:31 AM »
thanks - hope the tribe members around here see the humor too...or else I'm in BIG trouble...

superiorlobe

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 09:57:17 AM »
There seem to be a lot of dumb posts in this thread regarding the fact that Yale is not in the top 10 for career prospects.  The fact of the matter is that Yale graduates do not have a starting salary that is very high.  This is because many go into low-paying lines of work.  If you measure career prospects in traditional terms, then it is probably true that Yale grads do not do as well as the graduates from some other schools.

superiorlobe

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 09:58:41 AM »
This thread has further solidified my opinion that U. of Chicago is the best law school for me.

M2

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 11:27:01 AM »
Yeh but its in Chicago.

Chiacago is worse than NYC

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 01:06:25 PM »
There seem to be a lot of dumb posts in this thread regarding the fact that Yale is not in the top 10 for career prospects.  The fact of the matter is that Yale graduates do not have a starting salary that is very high.  This is because many go into low-paying lines of work.  If you measure career prospects in traditional terms, then it is probably true that Yale grads do not do as well as the graduates from some other schools.

how is salary a traditional way to measure career prospects?  why wouldn't you just measure employment rate (at graduation and 6 months after)?  people from yale take low paying jobs because they WANT to, not because they HAVE to.  so salary is a bad way to measure one's career prospects.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

buster

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 01:07:51 PM »
agreed, but that pretty much applies only to Yale, don't you think?

how is salary a traditional way to measure career prospects?  why wouldn't you just measure employment rate (at graduation and 6 months after)?  people from yale take low paying jobs because they WANT to, not because they HAVE to.  so salary is a bad way to measure one's career prospects.

superiorlobe

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 01:08:34 PM »

I agree.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 01:13:28 PM »
agreed, but that pretty much applies only to Yale, don't you think?

i could see it applying to boalt too.  i don't know about other schools.  judicial clerkships also pay *&^% (in addition to the "i want to represent poor people" type jobs i was thinking about when i wrote my post earlier), which is probably why law schools report MEDIAN, not MEAN, starting salaries.  at the top schools that have more clerkships, it might even make their mean lower than lower-ranked/less prestigious schools that don't send as great a percentage of students into clerkships.  but i think most of us would agree that career prospects are greater at those higher ranked schools, since you CAN get clerkships if you want them (and work hard, etc.), or you can go into private practice if that's what you want, etc.  just further reasoning for why they should use employment rates rather than starting salaries in their rankings, assuming that superiorlobe is correct that that's what they do.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?