Current Law School Stats

Baylor with 50% tuition
 8 (88.9%)
UMiami with nada
 0 (0%)
Penn State with $20k annually
 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: I need help...and not just for deciding to go to law school...  (Read 975 times)

GatorCT

• View Profile
    • Email
Ok kids, have at it!

No, I don't have a particular part of the country I want to practice in, I'm slightly leaning towards somewhere down here in the South, but I could be easily swayed. I also don't really have any strong pull for one particular type of law.

Thanks!

stinabee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I need help...and not just for deciding to go to law school...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »
You really have no preference? If there is something keeping you in the South, I'd eliminate Penn State. It would be hard traveling down South with a Penn State degree upon graduation.

Hmm...Do you want to do big law? UM does really well in S. Florida even though its not the top school in the state...And its nice weather too, as long as you like diversity:)

I just glanced at the rankings, it seems like Baylor(53) is the highest, then Miami(70), then Penn(91). If I had to make a decision I'd probably go with Baylor because of the ranking and half-tuition.

Have you visited the schools yet? I bet that would help the decision process.

stinabee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 12:01:45 PM »
Oh, if these leaked rankings are right, Penn State moved higher than Miami. And all the placements have changed for these schools.

I mean, it doesn't really matter so much since they are all tier 2 and fairly regional, but just thought I'd mention it.

tiredofwaiting

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 10:34:01 AM »
Hi. I am from TX and plan to stay in TX. Baylor is a great law school. That is where I am headed unless I get into UH. I also received a half-tuition scholarship to Baylor. The thing about Baylor is that it is geared toward litigation and 65% of their curriculum is set for you, so you don't have the luxury of just taking any class you want your 2L and 3L like other schools. as a 3L, you have a required 6-month practice court. Baylor is known for producing great litigators. If you definitely do not want to do litigation and the thought of taking litigation courses turns your stomach, then Baylor may not be for you. I unfortunately do not want to litigate, but I would suck it up since they are the 2nd best choice for me in TX. UH is the first. Penn State and Miami would have a hard time placing in TX. With 8 law schools, TX is pretty loyal to their own. Hope this helps.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »
Miami is probably your best bet if you want the most flexibility. Baylor is the best choice if you want to stay in the South. I would rule out Penn State.

However, you really should ask yourself some hard questions: where do you want to practice for the first few years once you are done with law school? That will help with your decision.
Vanderbilt 2010