Law School Discussion

--

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Go BOALT and TULANE!

::Thinks that his rampant trolling for both schools is at least in part responsible for the awesome changes.::

:)

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
it seems chicago's time would be better spent RAISING OUR ADMITTED GPA AVERAGE than disabling our classroom internet access. W.T.F.

yeah seriously, i'd be pissed if i were you.  i mean the boalt thing i could probably deal with, but being tied again with penn?  PENN???

meh, i expected us to still be tied or one notch above penn. boalt jumping so suddenly is surprising but if levmore insists on NOT gaming the rankings, i want to AT LEAST be able to play scrabulous in class.

A couple of thoughts to keep perspective:

1. The methodology behind the rankings is really unsound. For example, putting "per student expenditures" which is an easily manipulable statistic, at 10 percent weight and then not disclosing the numbers.

2. Pretty much only OLs care about these rankings. Hiring officials already have a set idea of which schools are better than others and won't be affected by rankings changes.

3. Unfortunately, the rankings probably have a culmunative effect on perceptions, but that happens over a long time. The most important statistics are probably peer scores, legal field scores, and acceptance statistics.

That said, its annoying that a publication with terrible methodology can have so much power over how OLs think about their schools.

(Crossposted)

1. The methodology behind the rankings is really unsound. For example, putting "per student expenditures" which is an easily manipulable statistic, at 10 percent weight and then not disclosing the numbers.

2. Pretty much only OLs care about these rankings. Hiring officials already have a set idea of which schools are better than others and won't be affected by rankings changes.

3. Unfortunately, the rankings probably have a culmunative effect on perceptions, but that happens over a long time. The most important statistics are probably peer scores, legal field scores, and acceptance statistics.

That said, its annoying that a publication with terrible methodology can have so much power over how OLs think about their schools.
(crossposted)

University of San Francisco to Tier 3?

That said, its annoying that a publication with terrible methodology can have so much power over how OLs think about their schools. (Crossposted)

Letsgo

• View Profile
    • Email
um, it looks like seton hall is at 66. cosmo seemed to miss a few schools and his list got off-track.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/ca/USNews.pdf

Apparently Seton Hall really IS that high...somehow tied with Chicago-Kent....that just seems wrong...

Why?  Seton Hall is a great school.  They have a great faculty and place well in New Jersey.  They only moved up four spots.  However, what happened to St. John's?  Weren't they 70 last year?  (too lazy to look).

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email

That said, its annoying that a publication with terrible methodology can have so much power over how OLs think about their schools. (Crossposted)

yeah, i was not pleased with last year's penn tie (less freaked now that i have a 2L associate gig) but i think levmore and the administration will have to do some gaming of the rankings this year with boalt taking the #6 spot and our losing sunstein.

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
W&L's new 3L ideas apparently haven't altered its ranking at all (still at 25)

Glad to see WUSTL holding strong in the top 20, I gotta wonder if all the money they're dishing out will help them move up in the next couple of years.

I'm surprised to see Pitt all the way down at 73, anyone know why they took such a gigantic tumble?

The W&L thing won't hit this year's rankings.  It might not even hit next year.  It is more a 3+ year impact, as either their grads become more valuable or less and their faculty better or worse as a result.

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
W&L's new 3L ideas apparently haven't altered its ranking at all (still at 25)

Glad to see WUSTL holding strong in the top 20, I gotta wonder if all the money they're dishing out will help them move up in the next couple of years.

I'm surprised to see Pitt all the way down at 73, anyone know why they took such a gigantic tumble?

The W&L thing won't hit this year's rankings.  It might not even hit next year.  It is more a 3+ year impact, as either their grads become more valuable or less and their faculty better or worse as a result.
Or it could produce no significant changes.