Law School Discussion

--

Re: RATINGS HAVE LEAKED. ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. (Also top 100 typed up!)
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2008, 07:51:54 PM »
A little off topic here, (but maybe not since I'm talking about the title to this thread) but why would "all HELL break loose" because the USNWR rankings came out? I didn't see any fighting on the streets or people burning cars or anything crazy last week....

it was obviously said tongue in cheek.  and honestly, can you at least TRY not to sound bitter?  thanks.

I will if you at lest TRY not to sound like a smart aSS everytime you reply to something. 

stricly bricly

• berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2008, 08:01:22 PM »
second life?  really?

BlueGreen

• [insert vague quote here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2008, 12:54:33 AM »

« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2008, 01:14:06 AM »
A little off topic here, (but maybe not since I'm talking about the title to this thread) but why would "all HELL break loose" because the USNWR rankings came out? I didn't see any fighting on the streets or people burning cars or anything crazy last week....

Oh that's right, the people that really care about this crap were all in front of their computers. Kinda hard to induce a "HELL" when you're playing "Second Life" and furiously refreshing the button for unread replies to your posts on LSD.

hey how is Second Life? i've been meaning to play for ages (after seeing it on CSI and Law and Order SVU) but never got around to it.

it's like world of warcraft without the raids.

« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »

it was obviously said tongue in cheek.  and honestly, can you at least TRY not to sound bitter?  thanks.

I will if you at lest TRY not to sound like a smart aSS everytime you reply to something. 

no problem.  i will try my utmost not to sound like a smart aSS everytime i reply to something in general.  please note, however, that this does not preclude my sounding like a smart aSS everytime i reply to you in particular.

::) Don't you need to go delete all of your past posts or something?

« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2008, 10:11:38 AM »
If you don't identify with your minority status, you shouldn't claim it.  That's ridiculous.  She's not adding any diversity value to the school, and that's why she's getting her scholarship.  I got a large AA bump, so I do appreciate it, but for those that it's valid for.  Argh.
[/quote]
You know what really makes me mad about the whole AA thing is minorities who claim it but should have no right at all to its benefits. I know a black kid going to Harvard this year, he got in everywhere he applied with lower numbers then mine (I did not claim urm for my own reasons) and his dad is a Dr. and his mom is an executive for a big oil company. He went to private schools his whole life and never had to want for anything. AA was not meant for him. What about the white guy who had to struggle out of the poor south to be successful, now he gets bumped because this ass hole gets preference. Make no sense to me

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2008, 10:17:10 AM »
If you don't identify with your minority status, you shouldn't claim it.  That's ridiculous.  She's not adding any diversity value to the school, and that's why she's getting her scholarship.  I got a large AA bump, so I do appreciate it, but for those that it's valid for.  Argh.
You know what really makes me mad about the whole AA thing is minorities who claim it but should have no right at all to its benefits. I know a black kid going to Harvard this year, he got in everywhere he applied with lower numbers then mine (I did not claim urm for my own reasons) and his dad is a Dr. and his mom is an executive for a big oil company. He went to private schools his whole life and never had to want for anything. AA was not meant for him. What about the white guy who had to struggle out of the poor south to be successful, now he gets bumped because this ass hole gets preference. Make no sense to me
[/quote]

I am also in favor of a more socio-economic AA system.  The problem is that one could argue that AA is meant to rectify past discrimination based on race rather than class.  I tend to prefer the idea that AA, if it is useful, is useful insofar as it focuses on POTENTIAL rather than just past achievement.