Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas and residency status  (Read 536 times)

badmoonontherise

• View Profile
Texas and residency status
« on: October 04, 2004, 03:56:13 PM »
Does any really know how much being a resident of Texas will affect my chances of getting into UT?  LSGPA is 3.85 and 167 LSAT and I am in-state.  I know my chances of getting in are pretty good, but I wanted to know how much being in-state would make a diffrence.  Thanks for your help and advice.
3.85/167

kccole

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Texas and residency status
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 04:24:15 PM »
There's a mandate that requires all Texas schools to have a 80% representation in their enrollment. So to me, I'm also a Texas resident, your chances are pretty good.However, if you were from out-of-state with those numbers, you'd probably be on the bubble with the in-stater's.
Get Right, or get Left!!!!

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 04:26:36 PM »
I've heard that you should add .2 points to your GPA and 1-3 points to your LSAT if you are an in-state resident.  Not sure about the validity of these figures, though.

badmoonontherise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 04:38:39 PM »
KCCOLE and MAROONOUT:

Thanks for your replies.  Since you are both Texas residents, would you think that I have a good chance of getting in to UT?  Not statisically speaking, but judging from others you know who have been accepted in the past.  All of my friends who have been rejected have had substanitally lower numbers, and the few I know who got in were slightly higher than mine.  Thanks again for your help.
3.85/167

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 04:40:12 PM »
KCCOLE and MAROONOUT:

Thanks for your replies.  Since you are both Texas residents, would you think that I have a good chance of getting in to UT?  Not statisically speaking, but judging from others you know who have been accepted in the past.  All of my friends who have been rejected have had substanitally lower numbers, and the few I know who got in were slightly higher than mine.  Thanks again for your help.

I'm not from Texas, but I'd say you're golden based off everything I've heard.

ZAP

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 04:52:46 PM »
Yes, I know people with my numbers who have been accepted.  However, Texas is a little random with their acceptances.  You can never tell, but based on my experiences, you have a great chance.

dta

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 05:07:19 PM »
badmoonontherise - you're in bro. Have fun at UT!!

Your major would have to be in PE or something to get rejected. It's people like me (in-state resident) who are sitting on the fence waiting to find out if i get blown over into the acceptance or reject pile.

By the way, anyone on this thread have their LSDAS report for UT requested yet?

kccole

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 05:25:53 PM »
Zap, with UT is so damn hard to tell what exactly they're looking for. I have a friend who is a 1L who got admitted with a 3.1/156, which is well below what the median is. So I really don't know. it just vary's. But UT is alot like UNC were the majority of the student body have to be residents(80%). Apply, don't sweat it, and ride it out!! Good luck!

dta

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 05:36:02 PM »
3.1/156!!!!!!  Holy Moly!!! That's AMAZING!!!

So, please do tell - there's got to be something amazing about your friend. He's an astronaut or an olympian or something, right?

kccole

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 05:42:09 PM »
1st generation student, fiscally challenged, overcame a speech impediment, paid for her undergrad education on her own etc.... You know all of the other s**t that adcomms look at. But she's in, studying her ass off to stay, and will have her JD from UT in 2007. I'm proud as f**k for her!!!!