Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top school vs. free school. Help!  (Read 5394 times)

steph73013

• View Profile
Top school vs. free school. Help!
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »
I got into Southwestern and Chapman with full tuition scholarship and Pepperdine half off and I can't decide where to go! I want to do the Dispute Resolution program at Pepperdine, but can I turn down free tuition? What difference would the three really make in terms of job prospects? And is Pepperdine really as conservative as they lead on? Is it true that there are no boys in the girls housing? Would I be shunned for my lack of Christianity?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped!

twh2008

• View Profile
Re: Top school vs. free school. Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »
You are looking at a ranked 59 tier 1 school vs. a barely tier 3 school. If the two schools were ranked closer, I would say go with the one with a bigger scholarship. But in my humble advice, I would encourage you to go to pepperdine, they have a better reputation and are moving up. I have visted and they have really great, affordable, grad housing for law students. I don't know about the mixed gender, but I have a feeling thats a rumor. Also, they are pretty conservative, but I haven't heard of it being too much of an issue for grad students, only undergrad.

Can I ask what your numbers are and when you found out? I'm awaiting responses from Chapman and Pepperdine as well. Best of luck. I would strongly recommend visiting the two if you haven't, they are both really great campuses, and talk to some students while you are there.

woohoo: unlv (half ride)
limbo:
tear:
did the mail come yet?: Stanford, UCLA, Pepperdine, USD, Santa Clara, Chapman, ASU

steph73013

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:25:01 PM »
Thanks for the input!!
I had a 162 LSAT and 3.4 GPA. I also applied to Loyola and Santa Clara and haven't heard back yet but deposits are due in two weeks. I had my application finished at the end of January, but took the February LSAT so it wasn't complete until the middle of March and I heard a week later from both of them. What were yours? Good Luck!

I'm visiting both schools in two weeks. Hopefully I'll get a magical sign from one of them. 

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 08:54:56 AM »
Thanks for the input!!
I had a 162 LSAT and 3.4 GPA. I also applied to Loyola and Santa Clara and haven't heard back yet but deposits are due in two weeks. I had my application finished at the end of January, but took the February LSAT so it wasn't complete until the middle of March and I heard a week later from both of them. What were yours? Good Luck!

I'm visiting both schools in two weeks. Hopefully I'll get a magical sign from one of them. 

I'm usually the guy telling folks to go to the cheaper option, but 1/2 schol at Pep seems a nice deal.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:48:09 PM »
You can do dispute resolution with a law degree from any school (and even without a law degree). You can get certified in ADR after getting your JD, or not get one at all still mediate. I would not let that one particular program be the deciding vote.

See if you can find a Pep student message board or blog to find out the real scoop on student life.

Good Advice. Seconded.

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 04:30:59 PM »
ALWAYS go to a better school.  10 years down the road, you will understand that the $$$ difference that appears so significant now, should NOT have been the deciding factor. 

On the other hand, you cannot reverse the damage you do to your career by going to a worse school.  This, of course, is not the same as to say that going to a better school is a sufficient condition for a very successful career.
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »
You are looking at a ranked 59 tier 1 school vs. a barely tier 3 school. If the two schools were ranked closer, I would say go with the one with a bigger scholarship. But in my humble advice, I would encourage you to go to pepperdine, they have a better reputation and are moving up. I have visted and they have really great, affordable, grad housing for law students. I don't know about the mixed gender, but I have a feeling thats a rumor. Also, they are pretty conservative, but I haven't heard of it being too much of an issue for grad students, only undergrad.

Can I ask what your numbers are and when you found out? I'm awaiting responses from Chapman and Pepperdine as well. Best of luck. I would strongly recommend visiting the two if you haven't, they are both really great campuses, and talk to some students while you are there.

Isn't 51-100 Tier 2?

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

chammon2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 05:31:17 PM »
I don't understand why this is even a debate.  Maybe if Pepperdine was full price?  Maybe?  Go to Pepperdine.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 04:44:43 PM »
And is Pepperdine really as conservative as they lead on? Is it true that there are no boys in the girls housing? Would I be shunned for my lack of Christianity?

Ken Starr is the Dean of the Pepperdine University School of Law, does that tell you anything?

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »

Isn't 51-100 Tier 2?

People use USNews rankings for 1-100 rank and then to call schools 2nd and 3rd tier, yet people make up 51-100 being 2nd tier when USNews calls them 1st tier. I don't get it.  ::)