Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thread for potential T2 Students  (Read 1056 times)

TimBeConfused

• Enforcing the Guarantee!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for potential T2 Students
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »
How much stock should I put on the average starting salaries that are reported to US news?

Probably not a lot.  Always make sure to find out the response rate to the survey.  If it isnt a good majority of the class then it is likely the statistics are skewed. 
If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour? ~ Thomas Jefferson

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 05:52:55 PM »
I've heard that Kansas also places a few students in the mountain west.

I honestly don't know which market I want to work in because I'm not that familiar with either. It's kind of a toss-up, so I'm defaulting back to expense and rank for my decision.  I'm really familiar with Las Vegas, and there's still a chance that i'll end up at UNLV, but they seem to be a little GPA happy this year.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 07:00:50 PM »
How much stock should I put on the average starting salaries that are reported to US news?

None. Seriously.

chammon2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 07:34:43 PM »
Most T2's are without a doubt regional.  If you're looking for some that have a little larger reach check out:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/lawschool.php

Take a look at the last column.  If they have a number, they get at least 20 people to more than one region.  Schools that are basically regional will say so.  Take note, I don't believe this information is entirely up to date, but it seems somewhat helpful.  Click on a school name and then at the bottom of the following page, click on the link for Ciolli National TQS.  Like I said, not sure how much weight these stats carry.  When I saw someone cite them before I believe they said they were from 2003.

Some of the T2's that stood out: Case, Cincy, Pitt, San Diego, Villanova, and Temple.

Oh, and Che is right.  Ignore the average salaries on USN.  So few people report and a lot of the time those who do are the happiest.  Seems more like BIGLAW gets you a set range (say 125-160).  The BIGLAW placement is what is variable.

As for your situation, I think Kansas is better than Gonzaga.  A lot of the competition from local schools will leave (WashU and Iowa).  I really wouldn't even consider Gonzaga.